My 12W7 does not impress me..

Rick Ning
Unregistered guest
I bought one because I heard nothing but good things, I have it hooked up to an MA Audio HK 1997 1200 watt mono block (not the best I know) and every time I turn the bass boose above half the sub screws up and constantly vibrates. At half way it bumps, but not very hard at all. I have 4 GA wiring and was wondering what I can do to fix the problem or improve my system?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1057
Improve the amplifier. It's cheaply made and overrated. Also, for now, make sure the gains are set correctly. Gains usually shouldn't be more than half way up. Don't engage bass boost, it screws with the gain setting of the amp. Also, what kind of box do you have the sub in? If it's aprefabricated, cheap box (Like Q-Logic, RT enterprises, etc.) then it will have air leaks, and the lack of bracing will definately degrade the SQ of the sub. There is no cheap prefab Best Buy/Circuit City box that can withstand the pressure of what a 12W7 can put out, you need a strongly made box.

Rick N
Unregistered guest
I have it in the JL made prowedge, its a nice box but I should probably get a new amplifier?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1059
The prowedge is a great box. Yes, you should get a new amplifier, also, are your lights dimming at this point where the sub vibrates? You could possibly need a better alternator.

pot smoker
Unregistered guest
get the 1000/1 from jl. it will power the 12w7 perfectly fine. although, you will definetly need to upgrade your alternator because the 1000/1 is supposed to be fused at 100 amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 54
A 1000/1 is to powerful for 12w7 you need a 500/1 go to jl's website and look at the power rating chart heres the link. http://jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 343
Get a JL 500/1 and an alternator upgrade. Say 150 amps that will be plenty. Then you will see the true power of the 12W7
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us