When volume is turned up, bass goes bye bye!

Username: Mouseware

Post Number: 1
Facts:
2000 VW Passat Sedan
Factory Monsoon Head Unit (8 speakers w/ cd changer)
Generic Line Out Converter -- 2 channel
x2 12 inch JL Audio W0
Rockford Fosgate Punch 500 Amp
Rockford Fosgate 12 foot RCA's
4 gage + wire from battery to amp (10-12 feet)
4 gage -- wire from body to amp (20 inches)

I have the line out converter taped onto the front two speakers and the RCA's are running along the driver's side of my car. I have the + power cable ran from the battery (including fuse 8 inches from battery terminal) running to my amp along the passenger side of my car. The amp is grounded to the body of the car less than 20 inches from the amp. My remote wire is tapped onto a lead that is 12V and turns off when the car ignition is turned off (also along the passenger side). I have my amp mounted to the rear seat, and the box with the JL's is less than 18 inches from the amp.

Here's the deal, I have had this amp/box in another car a few years ago and everything sounded great. I've used the amp/box with factory head units as well as ultra expensive pioneer head units. I've even used the crapy Wal-Mart brand CD deck, for 40 bucks, and the amp/box couldn't have sounded better. When I installed the amp/box in my new car, 2000 VW Passat, I installed it just as I did before, however, when I turn the volume up past a certain point on the deck the bass drops off. I've spent about 2 hours adjusting everything from the gain to the output levels, and it still continues to silence the bass when the radio is turned up. Please HELP!!!

My questions are:
Is this a power issue involving my alternator or my battery?
Is my amp going bad?
Is this monsoon system not an "aftermarket friendly" system?
Does the deck need to be replaced, and if so do I need to bypass a factory amplifier?
Would a capacitor fix this?
Any suggestions or recommendations?

If you need any more information please let me know, otherwise, PLEASE HELP!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

::mouse::

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 52
you might have the sensetivity set to high on the line output converter

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 53
how do you have the speakers wired? wire them in paralell then to the bridged outputs of the amp, that should give you a 2 ohm mono load, if not that you might want to get an aftermarket radio with a true preamp signal.

Jaykenwood
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with my system. It turned out it was sucking too much juice and the alternator was wailing away (which i couldn't hear for the music). The subs cut out at a certain volume. I replaced my battery, got a stronger alternator, and havn't had a problem since.... that was 6 months ago
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us