2 12" adire shivas box

Bronze Member
Username: Youngblood

Post Number: 12
OK i already found out how to build a sealed box for good SQ with a 3.5 cubic foot internal volume, but i was wondering if i could build a box that for my shivas that will give me more SPL but still give me decent SQ...If the shivas will work decent with a ported box what dimensions do you think i should build the box to????

Also i was wondering how many DBs you guys think the shivas will hit in the sealed box, and then in a ported box(if possible)?????i have a 99 nissan sentra and a MTX thunder 801d mono amp if that helps any...

Thanks everybody for all of your help

Bronze Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 23
i asked a similar question and glasswolf told me to use a ported box with 2 cubic feet per chamber. them tune it two 30 hz with 4" ID ports. he said it gives tight and low sq with more output than a sealed box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
thanks man that really helped a lot......i didnt even see your post....anyway thanks again

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
so i just thought of it do i add polyfill to it then or no..or will that make the box "appear" to big to the woofer

Bronze Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 24
since its ported you should not use any pollyfill. you use polyfill with sealed boxes

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
but i thought you could use the polyfill as a dampening material in ported boxes....not a lot but just enough to dampen internal noises ...if any... from your subs???....

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1051
Yeah, you can use polyfill in ported boxes. If you already have a box tuned to a certain frequency, for example the 2 cu ft above tuned to 30 hz, adding polyfill will make the box appear larger, thus lowering the tuning frequency. It helps dampen noise, always a good thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thanks ...thats what i thought.....about the using polyfill in ported boxes...anyway this place is great anything i need or one of my frie there helping us beginners out....i was wondering, where did you even to school for this...this is what i love, car audio, this is what i wanna do for a living. i was just wondering what you guys took and like where to learn all this stuff or are you self taught. over the course of this summer ive learned so much from you guys, and i just wanna continue my progress till im like a professional
thanks again

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
thanks ...thats what i thought.....about the using polyfill in ported boxes...anyway this place is great anything i need or one of my friends need something you guys are always there helping us beginners out....i was wondering, where did you even to school for this...this is what i love, car audio, this is what i wanna do for a living. i was just wondering what you guys took and like where to learn all this stuff or are you self taught. over the course of this summer ive learned so much from you guys, and i just wanna continue my progress till im like a professional
thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1056
I didn't really go to school for this specifically, I actually started with a tech school degree in Industrial Systems Technology, which is electronics, general maintenance and computer programming, as well as PLC programming. I got most of my car audio knowledge from co-owning an audio shop w/ my brother, he needed help so I helped him get the company to a start. I worked there for about 6 years, then started back at my old workplace about 2 months ago, head of Electronics and Maintanence personnel. The electronics training teaches you a lot of principles used in audio, though, as well as more complicated factors such as amplifier operation. etc. It would teach you a lot to do some basic installs and get a feel for it, then pursue getting MECP certification.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
okay i was looking and i was wondering what you thought about the Mobile Dynamics phoenix school, or maybe the Ritop school. Maybe its just me but that seems like it would be worth going there for what i wanna do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us