Problems with Alpine CHM-S620 CD Changer

Username: Mulder82

Post Number: 1
I am having problems with my Alpine CHM-S620 CD changer. It was working without any problems but one fine day it has stopped working. Now the display just shows 'Disc 1 Track 0', then moves to 'Disc 2 Track 0' and so on till 'Disk 6 Track 0'. After that, it will display 'Disk 0 Track 0'. It seems the changer is not picking the CDs at all.

Any body had this problem before ? Any body knows what needs to be done ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Username: Mizmae04

I hope I am nto repeating myself. But I have the same changer and is experiencing the same problem and would like to know how to fix it.

Does anybody know what needs to be done?

Thanks a-bunch

mcgillicutty
Unregistered guest
I am having the exact same problem. Don't know what needs to be done. Any advancement here?

Unregistered guest
That makes four of us. My grandfather is now finally just taking the whole thing apart cause I have nothing to lose. I just bought a used Honda Civic and the stupid thing isn't working.

Username: Riha

GaildorfGermany

Hi from Germany,
may be I can help you with a simple hint I've got directly from ALPINE Germany.

"Hallo Herr....

vermutlich sind bei Ihrem Gerat zwei Micro-Schalter verschlissen. Bitte
klopfen Sie einmal wahrend dem Ladevorgang kraftig auf das
Gehause. Mit ein wenig Glück, wird der Wechsler jetzt wieder funktionieren.
Sollte dieses Problem haufig erscheinen, müssen Sie das
Gerat zur Reparatur nach Stuttgart schicken. Die Anschrift lautet:
Alpine Service Ried
Kolner Str.34
70376 Stuttgart
Mit freundlichen GrüBen,

Customer Support
Alpine Electronics GmbH
Frankfurter Ring 117
80807 München

email: support@alpine.de"

So you have to push or shake your cd-shuttle while loading the cds.
I can tell you: In my case it helped and I can listen to the CDs as well as before.

Best regards from Southern Germany.
Richard

Han
Unregistered guest
I tried this but it didn't quite work; but based on the explanation, I tried to use my fingers to digitally stimulate some of the moving parts... and it worked!

Danke!

GaildorfGermany

Post Number: 2
Hi Han,
I think the critical parts are the two micro switches, you can see, when opening the cd-shuttle. Could be that they hang from time to time.

Best regards
Richard

mcgillicutty
Unregistered guest
Richard-
Are you able to translate your message to english for me?

GaildorfGermany

Post Number: 3
ALPINE Germany says that likely two micro switches inside the cd-shuttle are not working properly. Repairing them at the next ALPINE service station wouldn't be expensive. But before asking any service you should try to push or hit the cd-shuttle while loading any cd.
With a little luck it should work again.
With my cd-changer this was the case.

Good luck
Richard

Unregistered guest
I have an Alpine CHM-S620 cd changer installed in my Mercedes C 280.It is connected to the factory Benz in dash cassette player via an aftermarket harness adapter.I purchased the vehicle used and it came with a CHM-S620 changer.That changer would tell me that there is no cd's in the magazine when in fact the magazine was full.I then replaced it with another
CHM-S620 that i purchased used.It now has the same exact problem as the first one.I can physically see the changer scan each slot for a disc,but it dies not pick them up.Any advice for fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

LouieA
Unregistered guest
I've encountered a problem the other day. I took out my cartridge to change cds and tried to put it back in and now the changer does not want to accept the cartridge. When you try to push it in and pushed back out. If you hold it in and turn on the radio it will load the 1st disc but when you change discs it ejects the whole cartridge.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone have information on the CHM-S620 error codes? I have a '94 Jaguar XJ-6 and currently get a
E-01 readout when the CD button is pressed-unplugging and plugging the unit did nothing and all other radio functions work correctly-Thanks, Bob-

Unregistered guest
think I inadvertenely (and stupidly) may have put 2 cds in the same slot in the cartridge, and now the cartridge is stuck in place in the changer and won't budge when Eject button is pushed. The Eject mechanism seems to work, but the cartridge is stuck in place. Can anyone give me a simple way to get that darned cartridge out?

Unregistered guest
I have a disc stck half way in the player. The magazine wont eject and there is a clicking noise when I try to eject it. Help!

KAB
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem with Kenwood Excellon cx82 10 disc not picking up any cd's. Have tried a cleaning disc and resetting the head unit. Any other advice?

Unregistered guest
I have honda tape deck with CD changer Conttoller, hooked up to a CHM-s620 through a Blitzsafe interface. The problem is, the cd changer stopped working all of a sudden with EEE message on the controller. I was told that it was probably the Blitzsafe interface so I changed it but still I press the CD button on the Controller but still controller will not switch over to the CD changer. The CD changer does power on when I connect and disconnect cable. I was won dering if it could be the cable or the Changer or the deck, If I could get some help before I have to replace everything one at a time.

Username: Pie

I am having the same troubles as George (and the others)with the CHM-S620 CD Changer. I contacted an "ALPINE service station " in France . They asked me to send them the changer to see what is wrong inside. A few days after, I got back an estimate asking me to pay 200 € for repair or to pay 46 € just to get back my CD changer.
I am not happy with that kind of commercial practices and I strongly recommend not to buy that product.

Kamikazi
Unregistered guest
I am having exactly the same problem as Jarnail_D in my accord. I was driving along and all of a sudden the display showed EEE but was still playing the CD...I pressed the radio button and then tried to switch back but it just wont work.

Kamikazi
Unregistered guest
Success. I disconnected the changer turned on the accessories (key pos 2) and waited for the radio to play. Then turn it all off, plug the changer back in and it works.

Jarnail_D
Unregistered guest
Tried, Kamikazi's suggestion but no luck, I'm getting a new deck, hopefully that fixs the problem.

Username: Amzngsurf

Springfield, MA USA

I have the EXACT same problem as listed at the beginning of this post. I took Richards advice and shook the holy monster while the thing was looking for a cd and no luck. So I tried it again and shook the thing every which way but loose.......nothing. I'm going to try stimulating it as han did...hopefully that works but lets keep it between us ok.

Unregistered guest
Back to the Alpine dilema. I have the EXACT SAME problem. I went to the 'sound center' that installed the unit in the first place. They took it out and plugged a new Alpine in. IT Worked. I was told that I could send it into Alpine through them, at a cost, and get it fixed (at a cost). They suggested it would be just as much to get a new one. I am going to try the shaking and slamming to see what happens. Wish me luck.
Amazing

Unregistered guest
I too appeared to be suffering from the same problem as many others i.e. CD unit was skipping through CD's then saying no disc. After tapping, shaking and generally proding unit with no success, decided there only option was to take the unit a part to find out the cause of the problem.

From what I observed, the mechanism ejecting the magazine worked fine but, the cd loader was not working. Therefore, I carefully disassembled unit. Not too difficult, some screws to each side, gently remove casing (plastic clips), remove anti-vibration mounts and springs. (advice if you are going to do this then make sure you a) allow time to take our time and b) have a clear desk to work on).

Once you have unit apart turn upside down and you will see two motors and drive gears. One drives the magazine loader the other the CD loader. On my unit I noticed a slight misalignment of the worm / wheel drive gears causing them to jam and cease the drive hence the problem everyone is experiencing. Gently using a screw driver I realigned the gear meshing. Immediately the unit started working. However, it failed again on multiple testing. once again, I released but this time I checked the tightness of the gear mount and found it loose. I realigned worm & wheeel gears and retensioned monting screw. This time I tested unit numerous times and all worked fine. I reassembled unit and reinstalled. So far so good unit back in action.

So based on my experience I would say issue is more to do with the CD loader drive mechanism (worm / wheel) than the micro switches I found nothing wrong with them.

Clearly if your unit is still in warranty take it back and don't interfere with it. If not, and cost of professional repair uneconomic then you may wish to check the above.

I took a picture of the offending mechanism but unfortunately the size limit would no allow me to load to this bulletin board. No doubt though interested partis will identify mechanism and determine whether issue is same for them.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Anonymous

I have a Jaguar XJ-8 with the Alpine system. My battery went dead and I had to enter the security code to get the radio system working. After I entered the code the radio worked okay, but I receive an E-01 error code when I try to use the CD player (similar problem like Jaugar 44 reported above.) Additionally, when I push the eject button on the CD changer, the CD cartridge will not eject. Feedback on this will be appreciated.

Anonymous

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition with a 6 cd changer. Problem: Radio displays "NO MAG", "EMPTY MAG, to repair it cost $255 or buy new $245. I did the jiggling/banging, removed fuse and finally worked when I pressed on the CD button as it tried to read the CDs (multiple times). Yes believe it or not that made the difference! Good luck!

eatamonkey
Unregistered guest
just installed the chm-s620(used) to my alpine deck. all connections are fine and the deck is reading the cds and their tracs however there is no sound coming from the speakers. the cassette and the radio are working great. i've tried running a cd cleaner for almost an hour but no luck. anyone have any suggestions???

davewithanaudioproblem
Unregistered guest
could you please tell me if the ALPINE CHM-S620 6 DISC CD CHANGER will link straight up to my standard headunit in my 1997 renault scenic.

MRelectronics
Unregistered guest
Just a side note: banging delegate electronics is not a wise option. I too had the same issue from my Navigator. I took it apart and as E explained it was not an electrical but mechanical issue. Yuall f... heads should either become more inclined to fix and repair or just pull out the wallet and shut the f..k up,,, you bunch of cry babies suffering from cranial _rectal_ inversion. later tatters....

Unregistered guest
Looks like the CHM S620 just has a lot of the same problem. I found out mine wasn't playing CDs last week. I hadn't moved the cds that were in there that I had played just a few days before. It turns on and everything but when it tries to play the cds it's as if the cds are invisible to my player. I tried shaking the cd holder (the magazine?) while it was trying to read the cds but no luck. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks and good luck to everyone else who is having this problem.

Unregistered guest
I got it working!!!!!!! What I did was I went out there ready to take the whole thing apart and realized I couldn't reach the screws. I took the magazine out and looked inside. My metal interior casing thingy that the magazine loads into was at a weird angle so I tried pushing it down. It wouldn't stay down so I tried holding it down and it still wouldn't "see" the cds. I took the magazine out again and saw 2 black things in the back on the right hand side. It kinda looked as if they might pull the cds out so I stuck my fingers back there and pushed them and tried to see if they would move. They didn't move but I put the magazine back in and it worked! What was wrong (I'm assuming) was something wouldn't pull teh cds out of the magazine to bring them to the right and play them. I took the magazine back out and put it back in just to make sure it would still work and it did. Hope this helps everyone. Good Luck!

mike Pic
Unregistered guest
I have tha chm-s620 changer it worked well but know it skipps for no reason, even when I am parked. I don't know what it is does anyone have an idea.

Username: Mulder1982

This is the photo link which shows all the problems you guys have faced, I just solved out the problem. Special thanks to E.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52921635@N00/40347501/

rocco4par
Unregistered guest
1. REmove the extra cd storage bin, rip it off, the two plastic retainers can be used again.
2. Pull back the trunk liner, if you want, you can take an hour and remove all the stuff fron your truna and properly remove the liner, or just mess it up by pulling it out of the corner to expose the changer.
3. after several attempts to use a screwdriver, then a torx, you will use a socket and ratcher to remove the 3 screws that hold the bracket to the trunk interior.
4. take the unit inside.
5. remove the 4 screws holding the 2 brackets.
6. remove the 8 little screws holding the 2 black metal sides.
7. pop off the cover and remove the sides.
8. using a screwdriver, pry the cd cassette out of the changer body. (breaking a tiny little something very important off.
9. take out each of the 6 cds and examine them for stupidity.
10. take 6 of your most precious cds and put THEM in the cassette. (optional step)
11. in reverse, reassemble the unit.
12. insert cassette and discover that it will not stay in the unit anymore.
13 throw the unit in a nearby trash can and save yourself further aggravation.

Unregistered guest
I just sold my car that had the Alpine CHM S620 unit in it. I removed the unit before I sold it. I now realize that I left 2 or 3 CDs in the magazine in the changer. I can no longer hook the unit up to my car to eject the magazine. Is there a manual release for the magazine, or do I have to unscrew the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a CHM-S620 with that EEEEE error. Has anyone found a fix for that problem?

Thanks for your help.
Kit

Username: Lunableed

Hello all!

I have an Alpine CHM-S620 6/dc changer. After I installed a new stock stereo in my '96 Honda Accord (as the digital display was out)... My car no longer recognizes the disc changer, and I can't even get the magazine to pop out.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Help :/

Jason in TX
Unregistered guest
The mechanical fix that E described worked perfectly on my CHM-S260. Tightening the screw that holds the gear mount was critical to making it last. I just re-installed the unit in my car after 60 successful test disc changes.

When this same problem happened about a year ago I had a repair shop fix it for approx. US$80. It appears this is just a poor mechanical design - at least now I know how to fix it myself.

Thanks E!

Jason

Sam in GA
Unregistered guest
I have a CHM-S620 which I found in a junk yard. Is the changer supposed to come with any wiring hardware? If so how would I hook it up to a Kenwood CD player that has a CD changer input(The plug on the back of my CD player does not match the changer's plug)?
Thanks

Username: Anonymous_honda

Hi to everyone, I have ripped out the head, replaced the connectors, had it repaired once, read about it, and i think the problem is the '''TWO MICRO SWITCHES''' I DONT KNOW WHERE TO LOCATE THEM, SOME ONE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alpineeddie
Unregistered guest
Check out the photo link posted by George. It shows the two wheels that were mis-aligned on my unit.

Using E's instructions things are now working perfectly. Took about 40 minutes to fix (but probably a 2 minute job for some-one who knows what they're doing!).

Username: Tomba

Hi. I recently had this problem of a jammed worm gear, which was preventing the loading mechanism from operation (although the CD cassette could be loaded/unloaded OK). If you are happy with a screwdriver, it's an easy thing to unjam the worm gear. I also tightened the screw which holds the gear mount, but it was not really loose; have changed CD a number of times since fixing with no problem, but I suspect this may not be the last time it happens. I have also posted some of my own photos for you right here.

Username: Tomba

Here are the images:

unit removed from case
underside showing worm gear at top right
close up of worm gear

Username: Vikra007

Hi,

I have just bought a 97 honda accord and it has the same audio system and it is not working. My cd problem is it is not mounting cd rack at all. I opened it and tried to unjam the worm gear and all but it gets stuck when it reaches ends. When i load it in the car, it wont mount the racks at all. I think when the lever for mounter reaches ends, it is getting stiff and not moving.

Any clues now to fix it?

TIA

Username: Homerun04

HELP -- I have the same wheel misalignment problem as everyone else. I have repaired 3 times now, only to have problem re-occur. Any idea were I can get replacement gears from?

Username: Bacont

This could be a repeat - I responded to this thread and THEN signed up (doggone net novices...).

Anyway, I was getting "E-06" error on my CHM-S620 and could not eject the cd cartridge. So I followed a little advice from all of the previous postings. After about 6 hours of twiddling, I finally decided to try the BBRG (big black round gear) and turned it a little. The BBRG spun a little and then finally went all the way to the side and ejected the cd cartridge. Then I concluded that the "E-06" error code means "mechanical jam", as I observed a lego piece bounce out from under the circuit board!

Username: Dolly2902

Post Number: 4
Kenny Gray I was actually getting this problem with my cha 1214, i took the top off and there is two micro switches above the actual mechanisem which says sw1 sw2 press in switch 1 too confuse the changer and then try to eject the magazine the normal way, I only just done it as i have been with out my changer now for 2 weeks.!

Kenny Gray I was actually getting this problem with my cha 1214, i took the top off and there is two micro switches above the actual mechanisem which says sw1 sw2 press in switch 1 too confuse the changer and then try to eject the magazine the normal way, I only just done it as i have been with out my changer now for 2 weeks.

Username: Dolly2902

Post Number: 5
Kenny Gray I was actually getting this problem with my cha 1214, i took the top off and there is two micro switches above the actual mechanisem which says sw1 sw2 press in switch 1 too confuse the changer and then try to eject the magazine the normal way, I only just done it as i have been with out my changer now for 2 weeks.!

Username: C200

SydneyAustralia

The 6 disc OEM alpine stacker in my merc was stuck and the head unit inside the car would display 'no mag'. I took out the stacker, took the top housing cover off and noticed that a CD was in the player side out of the magazine, and couldnt eject. With the power reconnected, I pressed the eject button, and gave the big black placstic gear on top of the player unit just the slightest clockwise nudge and then the CD retracted back to the magazine, and the cartridge ejected successfully.

Hopefully this helps you out! However, if it doesnt and if I were you then I would not try anything else in there, the entire space looks quite complicated, and I feel I would have certainly broken something (lots of springs and bits held by tension - hate those can never put them back together!) And oh, be very gentle while taking the housing cover off, there is flat electrical connection between the stacker and the optical connection housing - this connector looks quite delicate!

Username: Jim_s

New Orleans, LA United States

I have been having the same problem as George, who began this thread. So I removed the unit, said a prayer and took it apart. Loosened the gears and somehow got the whole thing back together again with no parts left over. Plugged it in and--IT WORKS! So far...
Isn't the 'net wonderful? How else would I have known what to do.

Username: Hserfontein

Can anyone tell me how to remove the 6 disc changer unit from my Mercedes C-Class glove box compartment?

Username: Gunner_tx

The solution posted by E worked for me. Thanks to Tom Fuke for the pictures.

Username: Cmrobinson27

I had the E-E-E display a few weeks ago while the unit was still playing a CD. I did the exact same thing that kamikaze did above, I pressed the radio button and when I tried CD again, nothing. It was like the CD player didn't exist. I tried ejecting the magazine and, nothing. I unplugged and replugged multiple times and, nothing.

Today I looked up Alpine to ask what the E-E-E actually meant and the tech recommended holding the magazine eject button for aprox. ten seconds and this would reset the changer. Unplugged it at home so I can't test at work right now. Hopefully it works for those of us with this error still. I'll reply later.

Username: Legitmik

Cheers lads. Took E's advice and fixed my cd changer. Fir nowt.

Result!

Username: Klettenkrauts

Thanks a lot to E and Tom Fuke. With the help of their postings I just fixed the problem with my Alpine CD-Changer. In fact the worm gear jammed, maybe because of a loose screw. Now it works again
Greetings from Germany
Tom

Username: Mbr

Hey all,

Does anyone know where i can get a magazine for this CD-Changer...??

Thanks,
M

Username: Elmaschingon707

ok so i have the same problem as kenny my cd changer thing where you load the cds but when i try to eject it wont i dont know wat happened one dy it was working then boom nothing it wont eject or play any cds please help it is in a 1994 honda accord alpine

Username: Mikosan

Silicon Valley, CA USA

Thanks to this forum (especially to E and Tom) I have repaired my CD changer. I have created a step-by-step instruction with photos on my blog at http://blogs.sun.com/miko/entry/cd_changer_repair

-miko

Username: Mikosan

Silicon Valley, CA USA

Hi all,

I have moved my blog to:
http://mikofang.blogspot.com/2010/03/cd-changer-repair.html

Username: Scotsnomad

Glenrothes, FifeScotland

I have a Renault Scenic with a factory built Alpine 6 cd changer. The radio is working normally however I am having problems with the changer. There is no indication of power getting to the unit, nothing at all.

Is there anyone who can advise on the wiring necessary from the unit to the radio. I can only see one set of wires which appear to be power ones to the unit. I cant see any wiring going to the radio at all..

any help would be most great. I have checked fuses etc, but the only one I can find is for the radio.

thanks

Username: Emailmeifucan

I have the same issue of not able to load Cd, and fixed by opening the case to realign the screw/gears. However, my cd changer skips when i go through bumps. I am not sure if because i didn't put 4 dampers correctly. I also have a pair of small springs of the height of slightly less than 1/2 inch that came out from the cd changers that I don't know where they belong.
Please advise. Thanks.

Username: Mixie

Hi Scott,

There are four little pegs that should each fit into the center of the four dampers. The little springs go on either side to suspend the deck inside the case. Look on either side. The spring should have a ring on one end bent away from the rest of the spring, and on the other end a little peg sticking out of a circular bit that has a groove all the way around. Hook the ring to the hook on the inside deck, the circular bit with the groove goes into the curved slot on the inner frame. Hook it into the first part, then stretch it, sliding it into the third notch or so. This helps absorb the shock and prevent the skipping. Hope that makes sense. In Tom's first photo, you can see the part where the peg hooks in, inbetween where the two dampers go.
Once this is in place, you'll fit the outer shell over the whole thing, being careful to fit the peg into the cutout for it.

Username: Mixie

Post Number: 3
Also, thanks everybody for your input. I was having the same issue, and fixed it by aligning the worm/wheel gear set as described. This actually happened once a couple years ago and I'd forgotten all about it--I think I referenced the exact same thread. I remember the great photos! Thanks for taking the time; you guys are heroes. You saved me at least a couple hundred bucks... plus I'm leaving for a long road trip in a couple weeks and would have been very bummed to have to make do with other forms of media.
Thanks a million!

Username: Danielcardenas008

1995 bmw 525i and I kept pressing the eject button but it wont eject. I'm taking apart and tryign to figure out what can I fix lol

Username: Rob_okc

I had a similar problem with my Alpine CHM-S620 CD changer. It showed error-1 on the head unit display and the CD magazine cartridge would not eject. When I pressed the eject button, it would make a few small noises like it wanted to eject, but nothing happened. I removed the changer from its horizontal mounting position and simply turned it upside down and pressed the eject button and *VOILAH* Eject happened!! It plays like a champ now. Perhaps beginners luck, but I just wanted to share my experience in case this might help someone in the future.

Username: Alexmconon

Miami, Florida Сполуч...

Post Number: 5
I am having the exact same problem. Don't know what needs to be done. Any advancement here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us