New alternator needed? GLASS, PROFESSIONALS

Bronze Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 14
I am planning on putting a jl 13w7 hooked up to a jl audio 1000.1 amp, either an eclipse 5.1 or 6.1 kappa perfect coax set hooked up to an mtx thunder202, and i will be using an eclipse cd3434. I will be putting it all in a 2003 Monte Carlo. Do you think i will need a new alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 144
Yes, you will, if you run 1000 watts from a class D amplifier it'll generally run you at least what your factory alternator will produce. Your best bet is most definitely going to be getting a new alternator. I recommend at least 150 amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
How much would one cost, and are they hard to install?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I changed my mind about the 1000.1 i decide that it would be best to go with a 12w7 and a 500.1. I also decided that it would be better to go with a hifonic zeus zx4000 instead of the mtx thunder202. And i decided that i would get the alpine cda-9827 HU instead of the Eclpise. Do you think that i would need a new alternator with this setup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 147
It really depends. I believe you'll be pushing 200 watts total to your Infinity Perf components(very nice set by the way), with class AB. Then, another 500 to your JL W7, with class D operation. Your system will be running at around 77 Amps at its full. Where, you MAY be able to get away with this because I find it unlikely you'll be pushing your system at full at all times, because if you do you'll be selling it within weeks because your deaf. Therefore, you will be able to( i think you have an 85 amp alternator in that vehicle stock), and if so you'll be OKAY per say, but I still recommend an upgrade if you can find a replacement. I recommend either 120 or 140 amp replacement for optimum performance. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for about 100-150 for something around that size. Take a look.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us