Totally new at car audio...please help!

Username: Mhrx

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I'm 17, and I drive a 1990 CRX. I recently decided it'd be cool to put in an audio system for my car, the only problem is...I know very little about car audio. I'm not going for a top of the line system or anything, I just want to make it sound nice. I went to a local pawn shop, and they had the following (anyone know if this is good or bad?)

Sony XPlode 760 Watt 2-Channel Amp (like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39738&item=5712750217&rd= 1)

3 10" MTX Roadthunder subs enclosed in a box. (both subs and amp were in like new condition)

I could get those for 230-250 (depending on how haggling goes) Will that amp work for those speakers? Is this an ok setup for that price? I have just a few more questions:

my cd player is an Aiwa cdc-x437. I'm not sure what this means...but it has 22 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels .....Will my deck be able to handle the subs?

One last question. I have a buddy that could probably help with installation, but how much is wire to connect the subs, etc.? Or how much should I expect to pay if I get it installed professionally? Thanks for the help, sorry if these were dumb questions...but I just gotta know!

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 316
The amp is crap you dont want it. Watch out for sony and audiobahn. Im not sure how good the roadthunder subs are but im sure you can do better. The output of the head unit to the speakers doesnt matter because you use pre outs to run a sub. Make sure your head unit has pre outs preferably about 4 volt pre outs. A decent wiring kit is probably about $30 www.knukonceptz.com they have good wiring kits for a good price. Check out www.mainstreet-audio.com for oz audio subs. They are the only online authorized dealer i could find for Oz and they have free shipping. The tens are 89.99 a piece and the 12s are 99.99 a piece and they have great sound. If you dont like those there is also cerwin vega vmaxes, kicker comp vrs. good thump and SQ. Since you have a hatch back youll get thump they are the best for car audio. You may spend a little more for the listed products than the stuff in the pawn shop but they arent used plus they arent in boxes but you can get good deals on subzone and bigdogcar audio boxes on ebay.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

when searching for your stuff use that site to match subs to the amp. The rating shown are the ohm ratings. Try to get the rms wattage of the amp as close if not a little bit over the rms wattage of the subs. I also recommend a class D amp very very effecient. Good luck come back and post if you need more help.

Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 7
2 things road thunder sucks and so do pawn shops so stay away from both
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us