Trouble with current set-up

Username: Lance

Post Number: 1
The system in my 86 Ramcharger has some issues since none of it was done professionally. Currently, I have two amps in the trunk space screwed onto the box that houses two ten inch subs. A box that houses a 6x9 is also attached to each side of that box.

This is what's installed as much as I recall.
-480w Xplod amp (runs the two 6x9s)
-600w Kenwood amp (runs the two 10" subs)
-Durabrand MP3 disc player
-Qwestar 10 MP3 disc changer

The front speakers are 6x9s that run off the line outs on the head unit and the speakers in the rear run off the RCA output signal. It goes to the Xplod amp and then out into the Kenwood.

This set-up had worked fine up until a week ago when I noticed that the Xplod amp seems to create an incredible amount of heat after it's in use for a while. I have no idea if this is normal or not, but I'm guessing it isn't. It's quite hot to the touch and could burn someone if they leave their flesh on it for too long. Keep in mind this is after a few minutes of driving with the stereo on and the amp being cold to the touch beforehand. If the amp is bad, I can always swap it out since I have a warranty on it still. I just don't know if it is or not since it seems to be doing its job.

Next, the subs seemed to not turn on at times, I figured it was because of the other one overheating or the RCAs running to the Kenwood were crap. I adjusted the RCAs and it seemed to run fine for a while. At least until a few days ago when the subs would make a *thoop* sound halfway through a bass note and not finish the note. I have no idea what that means, but I know it can't be good.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ikethegreat
Unregistered guest
my sony amp sucks and likes to over heat all the time

Username: Lance

Post Number: 2
So it's normal for it to do that? At first I thought it was because it gets really hot inside the truck when I leave it sitting for a while without the windows open, but then I noticed that it never got as hot as it does without running first. At least it was cheap when I got it, so I won't worry too much about that I guess. I just don't understand the problem with the subwoofers. Think maybe I need a capacitor in there?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us