Low level out of subs.. Need help please

EO
Unregistered guest
I searched through some other threads but couldn't find my answer. My subs just stay at a really low level, you have to put head by it to hear it. If I adjust anything on the amp or the deck it doesn't change. Here is what I have:

Older Kenwood DPX-5010 (rear outputs set to N-F for the amp)

JL Audio 500/1

2 JL 10w3V2-D4's (wired in series)

I have checked all connections and everything seems in order. I get the main power light on the amp but no protection or over heat lights. The fuse on the power is good. Any one have any ideas???

Thanks,

EO

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4365
if the subs are 4 ohms each, wire tehm in parallel.
that amp is stable between 1.5 and 4 ohms
check the gain level on the amp (input sensit.) and turn it to about a quarter of the way up
set LPF (low pass( to about 70-80Hz.
set bass boost to flat -0

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4366
by the way, being a kenwood, if you're powering speakers from it's internal amp, it may not allow the pre-out to function.
many of them are one or the other but not both at once.
crappy kenwood topology.

EO
Unregistered guest
Thanks... I'll check that now.. and get back to you.

EO
Unregistered guest
I am down to thinking it is the amp. I cut all other speakers out of the equation. Some of the tests I did were connecting basically headphones to the output of the deck (audio sounded correct), then I did the same at the preamp output of the amp (audio sounded correct) when I listen to the line outs at the speaker terminal is low, muffled, and distorted. I tested this with different speakers too. I also adjusted like you said above. Any ideas on this one.

Thanks,

EO

EO
Unregistered guest
^^^

misterHT
Unregistered guest
Try connecting the sub using speaker wire running from sub to mains to receiver. Set your speaker size to small, volume all the way up on the sub, and use the receiver's xovr.

EO
Unregistered guest
I'm also starting to wonder if it is the fuse??? Is it possible that the amp still turns on (remote wire), can output preamp signals, and still make a low sound through the subs without getting enough power? I looked at the fuse and it looks intact. There are some small little black spots on it though.

misterHT
Unregistered guest
If the fuse was blown, it wouldn't make any sound at all.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4398
"Try connecting the sub using speaker wire running from sub to mains to receiver. Set your speaker size to small, volume all the way up on the sub, and use the receiver's xovr."

this is CAR AUDIO.
you seem to be confused about where you are in the forums, misterHT.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4399
replace the fuse or test it with a meter.

EO
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help GW. I finally decided to take the amp out and have it benched. It looks like the outputs are hosed. Anyone know how long the turn around is at JL if I send it in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us