Dual Voice Coil Subs

Anonymous

Okay, someone is going to have to expain something about these. Im looking at 3 subs, all are DVC, and either dual 2 ohm, or dual 4 ohm, and around 300 RMS.

I have 3/4 different amp scenarios. Which DVC should I get with each?

1. JL 500/1
2. Alpine MRD-M501
3. 2 JL 250/1 (one to each sub)
4. 2 Alpine MRD-M301 (one to each sub)

The bottom two are there because I might not have enough money to buy the larger amp and the two subs soon, so would it be better to save up some more, or buy two seperate amps (even though it would be more expensive in the longrun).

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 303
thats not enough info. how many subs do you want 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. You need to figure how you wanna wire them.

use this for some help its full of diagrams to show you waht impedence the amp would see based on how the subs are hooked up also based on the voice coils.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-3pj0IUkPsDN/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

Anonymous

Oh sorry, two subs. Thats was I would have 2 subs, one to each sub :P

So from those diagrams, I can't have the Alpine m501 with two subs, because it won't put out enough power through 4 ohms, and the systems won't be stable under 1 ohm. The jl 500/1 can push out the 4 ohm load to them though.

If I go 2 amps, then I could go with the DVC 2ohm if I get the JL 250/1, but would only be able to get the 4ohm with the alpine m301.

What is the difference between 2 ohms and 4 ohms that the amp will see under different situations? I know that if I use 4 ohms, the amp will have to put out twice the power to get the same wattage to the sub, but what does that do for SQ and SPL? What would be impedance that I want?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us