Glass, anyone, please help! Physical Hookup of Subwoofer in Box

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 27
Hey Everyone :-)

Tonight I want to hook up my new sub and amp that finally arrived. Yay! Here is what I already have:

- The 4ga amp wiring is already routed to the trunk and hooked up to the head unit from a previous install

- A ported box that my old SVC piece of crap Sony sub was in (hopefully the new sub's screw alignment will match). I bought the Sony sub already mounted in this Sony box. I figure the sub is crap, but the box should function just fine . . .

- One Alpine MRD-M301 350W @ 2ohms AccuClass D Monoblock amp

- One Alpine 4ohm DVC 10" Type-R Subwoofer

Now, I know nothing of what it looks like inside a subwoofer box, because the last sub I bought was already mounted in a box.

My question: How do I take my SVC sub out of the current box and replace it with my new 10" Alpine DVC sub?

More specific questions:

1.) What type of wiring do I use? Just regular 12ga speaker wire?

2.) I want to hook it up as in the diagram below (for a 2ohm load to the amp). Is there any sautering involved, or do all the wires just screw in or something? Do I just let the wires hang freely inside the box?

3.) Are there any precautions I should take? I am going to follow the wiring diagram below exactly. . .

Thanks for your help everyone! Prompt input is GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,
Bryan

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 298
think about it like this. That 2 ohm on the left is the terminal on the box. take 4 strands of wire and connect the speaker as shown in the picture they should just slip through a hole on the connects and another peice on the connect screws down to secure it. very simple good luck and enjoy.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 28
Thanks! Sorry that I am so stupid at this stuff . . . just wasn't sure if there would be connect screws or not.

Is there any suggestions as to what gauge of speaker wire I should be using in this application? Should I use 12ga (I think someone said that before)? Is there any advantages/disadvantage to using a thicker wire than 12ga?

Also, are there any precautions I should take when mounting this sub in the box?

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 299
12ga should be fine, make sure that the mounting diameter is the same for the alpine as it was for the sony you may i have to expand the hole. other than when putting in the screws dont let the wood get torn up so that you have a tight seal. Its all simple take your time and do it right

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 29
Thanks man :-)

No problem with the hole . . . if worse comes to worse, I can always ake a new front for te box. Not a big deal, cause I used to work at a cabinet shop back in my high school days.

At the shop where I used to work, I used to operate a large $150,000 CNC router, which works perfect for cutting MDF (subwoofer box enclosure material). I could even program little designs to go into the box if I wanted . . . I wonder if anyone is interested in having their own ersonal design/logo on their box? Just wondering aloud :P

Regards,
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us