Quick Question, 1 12" or 2 10"

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 44
Just wondering,

will one 12" sub make a sound different two 10" subs? Or more specifically, will one 12" sub in a sealed box, or 2 10" subs in a dual bandpass box, sound better with a 1200W max amp (200rms x2 or 500 rms x1)

I have one 12" sub (sony 1200W max, 350 rms)which sounds perfectly fine. I am wondering if going with two 10" subs (Sony 1100W max, 300 rms) would sound better.

I am currently using a sony 2-channel 1200W max amp (200 Watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms, 500 x 1 @ 4 ohms)to power the one 12" sub.

I would use the same amp to power the two tens. Currently, the 12" sub is in a sealed box, and if i go with the two 10" subs, i will go with a dual bandpass box.

Anonymous

For one, sony subs don't sound good at all. They can move air and create pressure, but all speakers can. They have no sound quality, and they have poor durability. I am assuming you have a sony amp as well, which isn't too good either.

The size doesn't have near as much of an effect on the sound as you think. Two 10s that have more wattage combined than one twelve will usually be louder, depends on the subs.

I would not suggest buying anymore sony audio products.

If you want good sound quality instead of SPL which, unless your a typical 16 year old, is probably the case, you should look into Cerwin Vega Vmax's ($100 each), Image Dynamic Q series (around $140 a piece for 12"), or Adire Shivas ($125 a piece). All of these subs are good, shivas being the best all around, and IDQs having the best SQ, in my opinion.

You would also need to buy a new amp. You can get a 600 watt JBL amp for pretty cheap, under $200 new on ebay I think. I don't know what kind of amp you need until you pick out you speakers, because you need to match the impedeance.

Or if you are happy with your sonys stick to them, but I would at least listen to some better quality products first.

Also don't go with a bandpass box unless you want pure SPL and no sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us