What all do i need to run subs off my stock head unit?

AValanche
Unregistered guest
I have a 2002 avalanche and i dont have the cash at the moment for a new HU so im sticking with the old stocker and putting 2 mtx thunder 6000 10's under the rear seat in a sealed box, with an mtx or kicker amp(if any other affordable brands are out there list those too), unsure of what size(need help on that too). but will it sound decent to leave the stock HU and what will i need to make it all work, thanx

Unregistered guest
ok first u need 2 stick your head up your as$ and pull out a decent h/u then it will work for u ok buddy ohyeah and go fack yourself

Bah Dan
Unregistered guest
Well I cant see why the stock hu wouldnt sound fine as long as there is an amp output on it, Im not familliar with MTX subs so all I can say is find the power handling on your subs and go accordingly when you buy your amp, I suggest kicker, but I am biased so bah. lol
In order to make it work youll need to get an amp wiring kit, wal mart sells a good one for about $25 (people might suggest more expensive alternatives, but I got mine there and its quite nice, the only thing I would suggest is replacing the splitter that comes with the kit with one that has fuses instead of hard connections)
Also, you might want to consider upgrading your speakers, it may sound sort of shitty if your subs are thumping and your stock sound system is just drowned out (jbl gto series are very nice but a bit spendy)

Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 9
first the stock head unit does not have line outs. Yes you can use a line output converter, but you will notice alot of distortion in your speakers. So swap out the deck first and do the subs and amps later. I promise you will thank me in the end. Plus an after market deck will play your factory speakers alot louder with out blowing them or creating alot of distortion.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 40
i have been reading a lot of posts on the forums and more then one professional has posted that a stock head unit is not going to give you very good quality. They said that you should get a HU that has at least 4v preamp outs.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 980
yeah a low-mid end clarion, eclipse, alpine or pioneer premiere should do the trick without bustin ur wallet

Bronze Member
Username: Phaseramous

Cudahy, Ca Us

Post Number: 12
I have a stock head unit on my 2002 honda accord with two line output converters, a mtx crossover in the trunk with a fosgate 500x for mid's, fosgate 300x for high's fosgate 1100a2,800a2 and a8002 for bass and my sht sounds a lot cleaner and louder than a bunch of others with flashy hu's begging to get jacked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us