Alpine 9833 - Need external amp??

Unregistered guest
I plan on buying the Alpine 9833 without an external amp. I will be powering 4 speakers (haven't decided on what speakers yet)and am wondering if the V-Drive will be powerful enough to drive the speakers without an external amp. I'm not really and audiophile but I would like a nice sounding setup.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4263
it'll handle a set of components jsut fine
it won't drive subs or anyhting like that.
its 26 watts RMS x 4
most head units are around 11-22wRMS x 4

Unregistered guest
Nope...no subs for me...just four aftermarkets. Perhaps Infinity Kappas?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4282
the kappas will run off of that head unit decently, but if you want really good performance, strong midbass etc, you'll want to consider going with a 4 channel amp instead of internal power.
give those speakers a clean strong 75wRMS x 4 from an amp like the Kicker KX600.4, JL 300/4 or similar.

Unregistered guest
Glasswolf,

Let's say I get a set of Infinity Kappa 52.5i speakers with an RMS rating of 55. Now my Alpine 9833 HU is 27 RMS, won't I be underpowering the speakers? Shouldn't I be pumping close to the RMS of the speaker for best sound?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4308
ideally yes, if you're willing to spend the money for an amplifier that would be ideal.

audioaudio
Unregistered guest
Quick amp question...on Crutchfield.com they advertise amp such as the MTX Thunder 404 at 100x4. Does that mean 100w per each channel continuously, or 25w per channel continuously for the total of 100w.

safdf
Unregistered guest
25w

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4318
www.mtx.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help