What does eneryone think of directed

Anonymous

i had a jbl 1200.1 to power my four kicker comp vr 12's adn it blew in about a month now im looking to get something a lil bit more powerful my freind that has an audio shop said that the directed 1500d would work awesome...he can get it for me for $$450 it retails somewhere around $$650....what do u think good amp

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4245
if the JBL "blew" it was probably due to a lack of sufficient current.
I strongly doubt it was a spontaneous failure.
probably caused by at least one of the following:
improperly set gains
insufficient power cable gauge
bad ground point
weak charging system

the directed won't really be much of an improvement over the JBL, since the compVR subs aren't rated to handle more tahn 400 watts each anyway

Anonymous

i had it all professionally installed

Anonymous

well i dont know what u define blew as but 7 or 8 little thingy mabobbers blew

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4248
FETs? if the FETs failed, you were probably overdriving teh amplifier.
professionally installed, I'd take it back the the shop and have them replace it.
The installer was probably incompetant.

Anonymous

i dont know what fets stand for but i think it was circuits that blew

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 853
Field Effect Transistor, it depends, but you may have blown the FETs due to a voltage rail sag, due to improper gain setting or lack of sufficient current like Glasswolf said above, or simply pushing the amp too hard.

Anonymous

the amp was turned wasy down i was still tryin to break the subs in

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 931
my bet is too low guage of power/ground cables or sagging voltage railed of the entire electrical system

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4255
usually if the FET rails blow, he had a dead short across the amp and didn't have it properly fused with the right size breaker or ANL fuse.
that's what usually kills an amp that way.
speaker wires probably touched. he may not have even known it happened.
anyway end result is user 'abuse' as opposed to product failure due to mfg or design.

the FET rails are the output or amplification stage of the amplifier. the things connected to the heat sinks of the amp that generate all of the power and heat produced by the amp. also what make all the loud music you hear at the speakers.
if there's a short at the amp, the FET rails see zero load and the produce more power and heat than they can handle and poof. they cook.
smells bad, makes smoke, amp dies.
RIP

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 934
lmao...RIP...

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 862
lol. I was kinda guessing towards heat buildup in some form or fashion, possibly a failure in the thermal protection circuitry or a short, but wasn't sure. Haven't cracked an amp in a while. With 4 Comp VR's hooked to it he may have the impedance pretty low depending on which subs he got, thought maybe the heat was a lot to start with and maybe the protection didn't kick in or something of that nature.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4268
yeah, although the JBL is 1 ohm stable, and regulates output to that of a 2 ohm load.
if he had the right subs he should have gotten a two ohm load and 300 watts to each sub which should have worked well with that amp, if everything went properly.

Anonymous

yea that is how they were wired...series paralel i beleive it was
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us