Looking for advice. Thanks

Username: Jkisul

Post Number: 1
Hi there, I know this has been cover a million and 1 times but not helping me. I have 2 jl w0v3 4ohm hooked to a kicker dx1000.1 the speaks are hooked up to end up at 2ohms at the amp. I have a spare battery next to the amp all the wiring and connects are 2 gauge wiring. The amp cuts out when the bass hits hard. I checked voltage at amp when it does it and it's 13.7 when the car is running. Checked and cleaned ground connections. Not sure what else to check. It was working fine for over a month and just started to do this thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Lottathought

Post Number: 23
I am going to take a stab in the dark. And frankly, that is all most anybody is going to be able to do. If the amp is cutting out when the Bass hits hard...and you have confirmed all connections and grounding...

And you are sure the clipping is not due to over-amping the pre-amp? If you overwhelm the input signal from the pre-amp, it can cause it to cut out.

But I am going ahead with what is left and assume that you have confirmed these other things.

There really is mainly 1 possibility left.....
You are overdriving the amp. Yes, I know it worked before...and I do not care what the numbers are.....you are overdriving the amp. Maybe it might have been at its peak and the work has since degraded it to below the threshold. Maybe on a warm day, the flex in the speaker will allow it to work again. Who knows....but everything suggests overdriving.

Now, what is the fix? First, you may want to change the wiring and test it at 4 ohm. If the issue goes away, it just confirms what I am saying. If the issue stays, you may be at the beginning of an amp fail.
If you go to 4ohm and it works fine, then you can either keep it at 4 ohm.....or you might want to install a large capacitor. It is possible that you are just trying to pull more than the amp can give in that hit. Maybe an added reserve will solve it.

Again.....I am just spitballing here. Maybe I have it figured out and maybe I am way off. Only by running test will you know.

Username: Candyford

Post Number: 1
How to run 2 amps and 2 subs of 1 head unit in car
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help