Water got in speaker wire

Username: Nomanativ

Post Number: 2
Hey Everyone,

Im pretty new to all of this stuff. I just wired my first set of subwoofers ever to my stock radio on sunday.

So, heres the deal. The car i installed in is a 2018 Ford Fiesta SE - i connected the speaker wire to the rear driver speaker, which sits in a door and has a boot cover over the wires that go from the door into the car. I removed the cover and exposed the wires to connect. Now, the speaker wire going to my trunk prevents this cover to be fully closed, but closed for the most part. Additionally, I did not have electrical tape to my disposal during the installation, so i used some masking tape to get me by until i got home. If you're wondering, i drove 3 hours out of my way from michigan to see my uncle in ohio before i drove back to chicago. He has been doing these for years and i wanted him to help/supervise me.

Today, we had a fairly rainy storm, and my subs started to sound like garbage. Very quiet, connection goes in and out. The ground is solid, fuse is dry, nothing is loose or out of place, but i saw a few drops of water sitting inside where the speaker wire is, albeit the speaker wire appeared to be dry but cannot confirm totally.

My question is:

1. Should I re-run new speaker wire if it got wet and find a way to seal off that exposed wire?
2. Do you guys have any tips/tricks to make sure this does not happen again?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us