Sub wired to 1 ohm paired with supposedly 1 ohm stable amplifier?

Username: Cdhariis

Post Number: 1
I have a 12" rockford fosgate P3D2-12 2ohm 600 watt RMS 1200 watt Max wired to 1 ohm paired with a Skar Audio RP-1200.1D which is advertised as stable at 1 ohm and rated at 1200 watts RMS and 1600 watts Max @ 1 ohm. Earlier today I had it bumping pretty hard for roughly 25 min down the highway and upon returning home I went back to check on all the hardware. The amp was burning hot to the touch with a decently strong burnt smell all throughout the trunk, the sub's cone and dust cap were also hot to the touch and I'd imagine the magnet/coils etc. probably were too although I didn't check.

Question is, did I do something wrong when pairing these two? I have seen most reviews say this particular amp usually runs very cool and it's specifically advertised as capable of running a sub at 1 ohm, additionally the sub's max rated wattage is barely equal to the amps RMS rating so I don't believe the sub's overpowering the amp. I would prefer to keep the 1 ohm setup as the bass is amazing but also don't want to risk catching on fire in the middle of the road lol, any help is appreciated.

Links to both products below:
Amp:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1FXPH1
Sub:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UFHXOM

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 2061
Well is hard to get timely replies on this forum but here it goes, first if your D2 sub is wired down to 1 ohm then the amp is capable of sourcing 1200W RMS to a 600W RMS subwoofer, that's twice the subs rated power, the second issue is clipping, if you didn't set your gains right the sub may be getting even more power, quit using your sub like that at once, it may even have some coil damage already due to overheating, a definitive failure could take place at any time, if you are using a sealed box heating gets even worse, if so get a custom designed ported box, it will get much louder on much less power. You can also get a two sub box to match that amp, that gets way louder.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 2062
Forgot to mention, the amp can heat up if you are running it on low voltage, it's better to keep your input voltage 13V or above, if your voltage is dropping with music then you need to improve your electrical. Also setup your subsonic filter on the amp, that can save power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us