Need help! amp overheat issue.

Username: Xannonhamish

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone. I need help figuring out this overheat issue. I know this topic comes up a lot. And i did search but had no luck finding someone with the same problem im having.

I just bought a kit to upgrade my factory speakers and amp in my car(05 Dodge magnum RT). I wired the speakers myself(didn't use factory wiring) so i'm just wondering if i messed it up or if i got a bad amp.

This is the kit i bought: https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Dodge-Magnum-2005-2007-Factory-Speaker-Upgra de-Harmony-C69-C35-CX300.4-Amp-HA-SPK-PACKAGE615-AMP-1

My head unit is a JVC (Cheap one, can't remember what model)

I have 2 rca cables from the HU to the amp. and the speakers are wired to each channel on the amp (channel 1 for front and 2 for rear). The tweeters and tapped into the front 6x9's. no crossover was used. And i am not running a sub in this setup. The power and ground wires seem good(used the wires form the kit). but it may be worth mentioning that when i put my old voltmeter on the power wire at the amp it reads 18-19 volts... I assume my meter is broken as it's older than i am, lol. not sure though. Is it possible to overpower an amp?

so, it works-ish, but overheats if i put the volume above 20ish out of 35(which is max for the HU). works for about 20 mins getting hotter and hotter till it shuts down for a minute then turns back on for maybe 1-2 mins then off again.(protection light has never turned on) but the green power light goes off when it dies. does not overheat when volume is low and will last my whole drive to work(1 hour).

Also, the audio is not as loud as i wanted. Gotta turn it to about 90%-max and you can still talk over the music. kinda lame. Is there anyway to fix this?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

Username: Linaiwash

Post Number: 1
Check the thickness of wires as they can be designed for less powerful amps. Use the thicker ones and see whether the problem persists. This might be a solution. I know well from my personal experience that wires matter!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us