Aftermarket speakers don't sound great

Username: Gunmetaltrevan

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I'm a little lost with my new sound system and would really like a solution with all the money and work I've put into it.

So I have a 2000 Honda Prelude, and I just upgraded the sound system. I installed Polk DB6501 component speakers in the doors and Polk DB691s in the back. They're rated for 100w rms at 4 ohms and they're hooked up to a Pioneer GMD8604, 100w rms x4 @ 4 ohms. The Head unit is a Pioneer DEHX9600BHS.

But my issue is just the overall sound quality mostly in mids/highs. Hooked up to the amp, they get louder than I'll ever need them to be without distorting, but mids sound lacking in detail and the worst issue is the overpowering highs that are sharp and painful, and not clear. It's at a point where random frequencies pierce my ears while the rest of the music isn't very loud. At first I thought it was all just in my head but I tried listening to my same song files on my $40 desktop sound system and overall it give a much more balanced and clean sound. I used to have a Camaro with a pair of old Polk 6.5 coaxials and some cheap Pioneer 6.5's, and I could never get over how great it sounded! It's frustrating to invest so much more into a system that sounds better than stock (where stock is three blown speakers) but not great...

I played with the balance/fader and it sounds like it's coming from the front and the back speakers, though it's more prominent in the front with the tweeters being so much closer. Any ideas on what could cause this?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us