What are the best subs for rap/hip hop

I don't know anything about subs, but I was thinking of getting the Alpine MRD-M500, and running 2 subs running at 2 OHM's. I am a complete newbie so an input would be nice

Hydro
Well Subwoofers can have different impedances:Single Voice Coils or Double Voice coils,sometimes even Quad Voice Coils for more wiring flexibility.
Say you have Dual 4 ohm subs u have 2 options either wire them in parallel or series.Wiring them in parallel will give u a 1 ohm load and wiring them in series will give u a 4 ohm load it just depends on how u want to hook them up to ur amp this diagram shows u what Im talkin about
http://jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W3_MAN.pdf

Thug Life, I will give you four brands that would be excellent- Audiobahn, MTX, Rockford Fosgate, and Polk. Hope this narrows it down a bit, good luck.

Anonymous
this mofo here at a stereo shop says that fosgates aren't good for rap/hip-hop because of the low frequencies. hey, it may be true but it may also be bull. he was probably just trying to sell me some of his other subs. i'm stickin to fosgate right now and everything is handling well.

tWeEk
What a dumb@$$....low frequency means deeper bass which is exactly what hiphop needs.

loud and low
yeah i would have to agree who ever say that was a moron. I have 2 RF Power HX2's and they can definitly handle lows they go all the way down to 22hz (fs). and they get loud too.

Anonymous
kicker SOLO BARICS=LOUD AS SHIeT, GOOD SPL, GOOD SOUND QUALITY....no really

Adire Brahmas or Shivas are a good alternative.
note, most hiphop and rap doesn't produce very "deep" bass (low frequency). Most of it may sound fairly low, but it's really in the 40-50Hz range, which is why it tends to sound alright with bandpass enclosures, which are usually best in the 40-80Hz range, where they are tuned, but fail to work well at all for really deep bass (20-35Hz)
That being said, if you primarily listen to rap, look at using a vented or bandpass enclosure for getting the most SPL with the least amount of power.
you can gain +3 to +12dB by doing so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us