Soundstream Reference 1000SX + JL Audio 12W3v1 ( amp heating up + JL Sub circuitry burning smells

Username: Oldskool_fan

Post Number: 1
Requesting for advice > <

I have recently got my hands on an old skool SS1000sx and a SS404. The day starts like usual wiring up the 404 to 4 infinity 6.5 and a pair of Polk audio tweeters. Where the 1000sx is wired at a bridged mono connection ( Connecting the wires to both far ends outlets from the four) and as for the JL 12W3v1-D4, I have connected both positive together and both negative together as well and positive and negative terminals to the positive and negatives of the amp. BUT.... ! After 15-20 minutes of JAY-Z , I came to notice that there is a circuit board burning stench or better describe as the smell of a new circuit board, something like that( apologies for not describing it better ). No smoke came out from the enclosure port..... I have tried this for 3 times of 20 minutes in a week but the results were the same, after 20 minutes , the smell is back and the amp gets super hot. This evening , I have tried by disconnecting one voice coil but the result still persist... The smell again.
Sincerely seeking help , Thank You All ! ^ ^

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1881
Well you need to check the switch on the amp is in bridged mono and that the sub is connected for *bridged mode* as instructed, secondly you need to check that the voltage on the amp terminals is 12.5V or more while working, and that the impedance of the sub, coils wired in parallel is 2 ohm (well a little below like 1.75 ohm is ok).

If all is fine then that old amp probably is going out either way, it could even have been badly repaired.

Post Number: 3
Super thanks Joe ! I'll check those this weekend and maybe I'll try switching the mode to MIX MONO and wire the coils to one channel each and taking off the bridging wires. I'll post again once this attempt is ok to go. Thanks again !

Post Number: 4
Super thanks Joe ! I'll check those this weekend and maybe I'll try switching the mode to MIX MONO and wire the coils to one channel each and taking off the bridging wires. I'll post again once this attempt is ok to go. Thanks again !

Username: Kellyb

Orangevale, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
I designed the SS ref1000s. If you have any questions about it or need it repaired let me know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us