New Alpine Type R Speakers just sound ok - not sure why

Username: Brownsfan019

Post Number: 1
I bought a 2013 Optima and had a local shop install a new audio system. I got the car back tonight and was really disappointed in the bass output of the system. This is my first real audio upgrade, so I wanted to get some more information before I talk to the shop.

Setup:

Kept the factory head unit (maybe the problem?)
Installed Alpine Type R 6.5" component up-front, coax in back
Installed Alpine amp
Installed sound mat/deadening (maybe the problem?)
No sub installed - obvious way to get more bass but I didn't want to go there unless no other options

My previous car had some cheap 6.5" Alpines that I got on clearance at Best Buy and could really put out some bass. I also installed a new head unit. There was no amp or sound mat installed.

I'd appreciate any input as to why I'm receiving so little bass from the current design.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1832
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60595_Pioneer-DEH-2500UI.html

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1646
I'm later to this party but theres many reasons. stock head unit could be one. I'm guessing Phases might be off but that's a rarity. I would though have to say if you crossover on the amp is tuned wrong that will be a huge reason. when I amp my speakers with a woofer I use the high pass filter to tune out bass notes to balance my frequencies out. If you get a over worked installer he could just be stuck in his routine and tune the bass out of it. a proper 4 way set of speakers tuned right should hit almost as hard as if you had 8 inch woofers in the car. From experience though, Alpine speakers suck on bass. their very bright. I have had pioneers be my best source of bass on coaxils.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14839
set the amp XO to high pass, 100Hz, 12dB Q, 0 phase, then add the sub. Having a sub is the only way to really get that bottom octave response.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us