Humming and poping

Bronze Member
Username: Estima04

Post Number: 11
hello guys,

I am now having another problem with my sub amplifier after blowing up my alpine mrp 130. Another question

My amp is a rockford fosgate 10001bd and it its now making humming and poping noises. Im sure its the amp as when I play around with the frequency it hums really badly and if I twitch it abit either higher of lower it goes away. it starts with a low hum gets louder and ends in a loud thump or pop last around 5 secs and when its happens a 30sec to 10 min intervals

Leave it for a few weeks and it comes back play around with the frequency again and it goes away again but turn it back to where it was it will hum or pop again.
its over 6 years old i think could be older.
Is the amp on its way out?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1804
Bad grounding and a low battery (need to be 13V up when the car is running) can cause that, the head unit should be grounded firmly too, the RCA audio lines could be faulty or disconnected. Check all your power lines, fuses.. etc.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14823
How is the gain on the amplifier set? I'm guessing you have it turned all the way up?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the suggestions lads,

due to the amp having alota gain per small turn of the knob The most I have ever done was almost half and the bass will too loud already. That was in the hoon days

Now days I have it turned almost a quarter too much bass in the mornings when going to work.

I have tried joes suggestions with the grounds it appears to be better but you tend to hear a little bit every now not doing it as much, could it be its just be having a better day. I do have the rca and power running dwon the same side may be this could be the interfering?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
You have to go through an amp gain setting procedure, but I was suggesting to check the voltage of the battery while running your audio, for that you would need a voltmeter or multimeter ($15) I am almost sure you don't own one, can you get someone to borrow you one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1809
And yes, it's better to run your power lines separately from the signal lines, one keep trying things until the symptoms become tolerable or solved.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
gentlemen im so happy i fixed it.

While i was moving the backrest of one of the chairs which my amps are attached to. I found out that it makes humming poping noises when moved.

It must be a loose cable or something so kept checking and it came to the remote gain controller on the Rockford amps. As the locking clip on it was broken off a long time ago it works its way loose after a long time of pumping bass.

twitch it and it makes all that noise.

I did find out this problem after trying to rewire the rca cable to not run down the same side of the car.

Thanks lads for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1828
I'm glad for you too.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14836
This is why I tell people not to ground amps to the seat mounting bolts. They are typically painted, and they move, which makes for a really bad grounding location.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us