Help with deciding between amplifiers

Username: Ssande

Post Number: 1
I need some advice in deciding between two amplifiers. Here is some background info:

These amps are going on a custom vehicle that has (4) 10" subwoofers in separate cabinets and (4) full range speakers crossed over above 50hz. Using a 250 amp alternator and a deep cycle battery that powers just the amps and iPod. Engine runs at 1,800 rpm so I am getting full alternator output when running (vehicle is driven by hydrostatic drive).

Currently I am using (3) Crunch GPV1600.4 amps. One amp drives the (4) full range speakers and remaining (2) amps drive (2) 10" subwoofers. Full range speakers are 4 ohms each, the subwoofers are dual voice coil and wired for 2 ohms ea.

Space is extremely tight which limits my choice of speakers, location, and amp sizes.

What I would like to do is upgrade to the Crunch GPV2400.4 amp for the (4) full range speakers and upgrade the subwoofer amps to either the Crunch GPV3500.2 or GPV2100.1 amp. Here is where I need some advice.

Do I run two subwoofers with the 3500.2 watt amp at 1750 watts/channel/sub at 2 ohms ea. _or_ run two subwoofers off the 2100.1 watt amp at 1 ohm? Hope this is clear. Basically is it better to run two subs (2 ohms) at 1750 watts each or two subs in parallel (1 ohm) with 2100 watts?

Logically I thought the 3500.2 amp would be the right choice, but when looking at the amps the connectors on the 2100.1 amp are beefier and the 2100.1 amp uses (4) 25 amps fuses whereas the 3500.4 amp uses (2) 40 amp fuses. Obviously the power ratings have a bit of marketing hype. How should I look at this to rationalize the better suited amp?

Thanks,
Scott

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1674
I would get off crunch amplifiers altogether to start, you don't state what speakers and subwoofers are those or what vehicle and also you don't state what are you trying to accomplish with the upgrades.

Sub enclosure design has a very important role on both quality and output of bass not just the amps you choose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us