Need help with my CDT ES-620

Silver Member
Username: Chofilena

Iloilo, Iloilo Philippines

Post Number: 150
Why am I hearing a placking sound on my mid/woofer? As far as I know I set everything right on the MS-8 and amp gains are set just before half of the gain. Speakers sounds great/beautiful when played at head units volume set at 12 as regular listening 16 as happy mood. But when I turn up the volume a bit more to 18, I get to hear that plucking sound on the mid/woofer (30 max volume of the head unit). What seems to be the problem? Is the wattage of my amplifier to small to drive the speakers? X-over set at 60hz, do I need to put it higher? Does this mean my speakers are broken? Please help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
I tried putting in a test cd on the in-phase and out of phase track. Set the fader to front speakers and during the in phase process it sounds normal but the out of phase sounds distorted. Then I checked the rear speakers, set the fader all the way back to the rear. Now the rear in-phase is distorted and the out of phase is clear.
For the left and right speaker integrity the front speaker sounds clean and in the right places, but the rear speakers is distorted. What could be the problem? Help!

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1558
Increase the input gain of the MS-8 so that you don't have to reach 18 to get the output you want, see what that does.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14711
mae sure the cone isn't hitting anything during excursion, like the door grille, make sure you have a low pass filter set for that driver at say 120Hz, with at least a 12dB slope, make sure the speaker is wired in phase with it's counterpart in the opposite door

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
I did check on the x-over setting on the MS-8 and I think I set everything right. I realize something that if I turn off the logic 7 the distortion goes away but the sound or imaging transfers to the back. I hope their is nothing wrong with the MS-8. Will try to put up the input gain of the MS-8 and see what it does. Or will try to press the reset button of the MS-8 and calibrate again. Thanks guys

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Joe, I tried putting up the gain of the MS-8 but still the same. Will check polarity of the speakers again. What seems to be the problem? I hope its nothing serious.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1561
Reset it or better yet power it down also, make notes of the relevant settings you have done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Thanks Joe. Finally found the problem its the polarity of the center channel and the cause of the plucking sound was the amplifier's gain set to low. Got me worried for a while, now I'm happy again.

My brother is coming home from the US and got me a Punch T500-1 as a gift. What would you suggest I should use the P400-4? I was thinking of bridging the amp to power the mid/woofers (180 watts RMS, amp 200 watts x 2). And have the MS-8 power the tweeters and the rear speakers. Or, I should retain the old set up of using the amplifier to power the front mid/woofer and the rear speakers? Sorry to ask this question again but I just want to make sure what is best and the right way. A friend suggested that I should bridge it because the RMS of the mid/woofer is high, which makes me confuse again. Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1564
Right I just was reading back and I see I missed you did disconnect everything to relocate and guess those things got changed that way. As before, when making changes to a system one has to take note of all the settings.

Well I probably wouldn't leave the back speakers on MS-8 power, other than that I guess it comes down to tests. I wouldn't be running rear speakers either so whatever.

Glad nothing happened to your stuff though, got expensive stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Yup! got really scared. Joe, when I opened the front door to check on the speakers (CDT). I think it's getting wet with rain or maybe when I wash the car. What can I do to protect them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1567
Check this out:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&AID=1457539&P ID=440939&srchCat=740

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Aside from protecting the speakers, would it help improve the sound and add bass?

Joe, If I don't use my rear speakers. What would you suggest? Should I amplify the tweeters or bridge the amp for the mid-woofer and have the MS-8 run the tweeters? Sorry for the never ending questions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1570
Don't think so but protecting the speakers is important enough.

Make the call Carlos, you can always wire it back if you didn't like it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Ok, Thanks Joe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums