3 12's w6v2

Username: Cadillac

Post Number: 1
I am currently depressed because I purchased 3 JL w6v2 12 & 1 Alpine M2000 and they do not sound good at all there off beat . I'm thinking it's the amp what do you think?
very expensive emptied out my pockets I am very depressed
I have a Cadiliac CTS 08 and my back seats do not go down however I got a small port that allows air to escape in the middle of my back seats I.E. cup holder
During my stay in Afghanistan I have decided that I have 3 options
A) Get a new amp for my 3 12w6v2 options are HD1200 or the RF T1500 and get a new box built I prefer ported
B) Get rid of the system and go for 2w712 but I do not want to buy two of your 1000v2 amps they are very expensive and I do not have the space to fit two amps in there . So the amp options is HD1200JL audio or a budget amp RF1500.
I would really love to receive some technical support on this to improve the quality of sound because I bought the w6 to pound and not be over bass by any average joe on the street.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1216
Ok welcome, those 3 subs can be wired to 2.67 ohms, your amp delivers 2000 at 2 ohm so probably 1600 or so at 2.67 ohm, I don't think that you have any problems there. (and YES i don't know how you wired your subs to the amp).

Your box may be a problem, if you can give the external dimensions, I guess is not ported from what you comment.

Also your electrical, you must have some upgrades if you are running 1600-1700W what upgrades if any do you have??

Post Number: 8
no i dont have upgrades and are you refering to the big three or do i got to go higher would you recomend getting another amp and if so what would you suggest that alpine makes them sound like crap would you suggest the JLHD1200 or the ROCKFORD t1500
Im actually thinkin about selling thoughs three subs and going for 2 12's w7 and getting the HD1200 or the ROCKford t1500 in a ported box but i would have to get the BIG three right? let me know . YOUr advise would be apreciated let me know

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
Ok Cadillac, try to unlearn for a minute what you know, and try not to blame it on anything.

I checked and you stock electrical is strong so I wouldn't expect a problem from there.

-What gauge is your wiring from the battery to the amp?

-What enclosure are you using right now? dimensions, type..etc.

- How are your 3 subwoofers connected to the amp?

Let me know these infos.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1423
Hey there cadillac. I'm assuming that your new onto the Car Audio scene. Lets try to break down exactly what could be our problem(s).

First, lets take a look at your vehicle. Your 2008 Cadillac CTS comes stock with a 150 Amperage Alternator which should be more than enough to support your Alpine MRP-M2000 Amplifier. If by any chance you are experiencing any type of dash or headlight dimming, then I would suggest looking into a larger Battery first before doing the full "Big 3" upgrade.

Secondly, lets take note of what you already have purchased. Your JL Audio 12W6v2 Subwoofers are rated at 600 Watts RMS and come in a DVC at 4 Ohms. With three of these together, we are looking at a total of 1800 Watts RMS wired at 2.67 Ohms (series/parallel) or wired at 6 Ohms (parallel/series). Your Alpine MRP-M2000 is rated for 1500 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms and 2000 Watts RMS at 2 Ohms.

With this information, I would highly suggest looking to see if your JL Audio Subwoofers are wired correctly to the 2.67 Ohm configuration. Example below:

Upload

If your JL Audio Subwoofers are wired correctly, I would suspect your current Enclosure to be at fault. I am not sure what type of Enclosure you have, however I would make sure that it follows the recommended specs that JL Audio preffers.

For Sealed Enclosures, you are going to want to build/purchase an Enclosure which has an Internal Volume of 3.75 Cu Ft. A Ported Enclosure will require an Internal Volume of 4.5 Cu Ft. Tuning of the Port will vary.

Enclosures do not need to be built/purchased to exact specs according to JL, however they are a good starting point with tuning the "sound" and performance that you are looking for. If your current Enclosure if not anywhere close to what I mentioned above, then I would suggest looking into purchasing/building a new Enclosure.

The last thing I would like to mention, is that it could be possible that you yourself may be what "thinks" it's not performing well. Everyone has a differen't opinion and style when it comes to Car Audio. Also, there is the unknown factor of what everyone else's Audio System is that your listening to.

Overall, if your planning on redoing your System, I highly suggest doing your homework first. Do some digging and compair other products. Don't just go into any random store and purchase the most expensive thing they have, assuming it's going to sound awesome.

Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 224
the op's a spammer look at all his other posts especially the last one he posted on amplifiers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
who is ops

Gold Member

Post Number: 1403
I guess he means you.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14626
he meant OP's, as in original poster's.

Your problem may be, as noted, the box, it's positioning, or wiring.

You should take the setup to a local professional and have it looked over for suggestions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Im not a spammer

Gold Member

Post Number: 1408
I believe you.

I just think you should listen to some of the high end stuff out there. You might be surprised, I love JL either way its just that it should cost no more than other brands that perform as well or better than them.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1622
It could be your amp power wiring. 3000 watts requires good, stiff power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us