PC Power Supply for Car Amp

Username: Jackchrisp

Chennai, Tamil Nadu India

Post Number: 1
Hi, i'm planning to use Sony Xplod 600 Watts Amp(XM-GTX6042) plus a 1000 Watts Xplod woofer in my home. Can somebody suggest how much rated PC SMPS should i use? and tell me how to hook them up pls.?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1175
That is a four channel amp and it seems you can only bridge one pair so that bridged channel will most likely give 120W RMS @ 4ohm

Take a look at the pic:

Upload

Tie the PS_ON to the adjacent COM to turn on th power supply then use a +12V output (yellow) and a COM (which is ground) to connect to the AMP. To turn on the amp you will need to connect the REMOTE ON to the + 12V also.

Since PC power supplies are not designed to take steep surges I recommend a 750W branded power supply not generic ones.

Bear in mind that you are doing this at your own risk. start with the gain at minimum and all tone controls to 0 (defeat) both on the source and the amp.

Good Luck.

Post Number: 3
@joe durkham : Thanks for replying. Yeah, I forgot to mention, since its a 4/3 Ch amp, i'm using that connection only. 2 Front Speakers, and the Rear connections is bridged for the Woofer.
I thought it would need about 450W to 600W PC Power Supply, i didn't expect you would say 750W.
Don't mistake me, i will wait for few more replies, and then consider things and go for action .
Thank You So Much

Gold Member

Post Number: 1178
To better explain, computer power supplies are designed for steady loads, when you hit some lows the current drag can go up 2-3 times the RMS rating of the amplifier, The power supply must be able to provide those "peak" currents, if not signal distortion and potential damage to the power supply will result.

A car audio capacitor can also help meeting those current peaks in case you considered using one.

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 95
This sounds like a good way to start a fire. Why don't you just invest in some decent home audio equipment?

Post Number: 4
Hi, Regarding my previous post, we ordered and assembled a AC to DC Transformer using a local electrician here. Its designed for 12V, 15 Amps, the electrician recommended a 35A Diode, assembled and everything's finished.
Now we gave it to the Amp i told(1 Sony Xplod 1000w Bridged and 2 Front Speakers, like a 3 channel connection). The amp fuse is 25A.
Now after ON, we started from Low volume input, everything works good. But now the Problem is after about 40% of volume increase, the output is Distorted, the woofer and the speakers gives noise, no proper output sound.
The Power in my home is 3Phase, 250V AC(the transformer itself is designed for that much of voltage), and the output from the Power Supply is 12V DC, i measured using the multimeter it is about 12 to 13.5 V DC, can't measure the current since my multimeter isn't facilitated for that.
So Please can people tell me what could be the problem, how to get good efficient output from audio system, to get more volume o/p without any distortion or noise?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1190
The power is 12x15 = 180W is too low and from what you say you have no regulation and only half wave rectification. I am actually surprised that it works..

The PC power supply idea would have provided better power for your application.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us