My JLW3 sounds bad

Jamal
Whats up ppl I have one JLW3 hooked up to a Boss R2200D Amplifier and I have the gains turned down on my amp so I wont distort the sub and It sounds great for like 20-30 minutes then after that a loud unwanted noise comes from the sub and it wont stop.Ok I put that sub in my friends car and he has a 250x4 Dhd amp and it sounded great so I put it back in my car and it was fixed and sounded fine again but that unwanted noise came back again today can someone please help me to fix this big problem
By the way the sub is wired in parallel and its in a sealed box so the sub is @ 2 ohms gettin 1400 watts with the gains down

Anonymous
No, your getting like 300-400 watts out of that amp @ 2 ohms. Check your battery voltage after 20-30 minutes, maby you have a bad alternator. Last time I explain this one. YOU CAN DRIVE AN AMP TO FULL OUTPUT WITH THE GAINS ALL THE WAY DOWN IF YOUR INPUT VOLTAGE IS HIGH ENOUGH. The gain on an amp is NOT a volume control. The position the gain needs to be at to drive the amp at full power is relative to the input voltage. If you have an amp with a 200mv-2v input and you have an 8v source, then it is very easy to drive it into clipping with the gain all the way down.

motoman22
Jamal, I think Anynomous is suggesting that you turn the gain down a little and try again.

Anonymous
Also, make sure the bass boost is all the way down. It can produce some undesirable effects.

rosebudd
jamal,

If you moved your subwoofer from one car to another and your problem didn't move at all i would guess that you have an amp problem or perhaps a charging problem. Starving you amp for current will cause it to heat up creating distortion, and less control over you woofer cone creating an undesireable sound. To be exact i would need more details about your system

Jamal
Well My car is a 99 Grand Prix and It has a Factory alternator and a EverLast Battery.Ok I have a 4 Gauge Wire Ran from Battery + terminal to my 2200 watt amp(No Capacitors)I have a 8 Gauge Ground wire for the amp and its a mono channel amp.I have a Bass remote control and the gain is turned all the way up on it and on the amp the gain is all the way down,ok the bass boost is at 18db's and the low pass x-over is turned down all the way and so is the subsonic filter.I have a switch that says 2v-8v or 100mV-2v and its on 100mV-2v cuz the output was louder and the sub is A dual 4 ohm sub and I wired it in parallel cuz the amp is 2 ohm stable and its says 1400x1@2 ohms

Anonymous
Ok, first bad move is the having the bass boost all the way up, that is just plain idiotic. Turn the bass boost off or very close to off. Your second mistake is setting the crossover all the way down. Unless you have like 8 or 10 inch midbass its going to sound like crap. Turn it to about the middle or a little less. I own a R3000d so I am very familiar with how it, and the others in the line perform. The specs in the manual are WAY off buddy. The R3000D only puts 1100 watts RMS into 1 ohm at 14 volts so there is no way the 2200 is going to put out 1400 watts into 2 ohms. And lastly, I have noticed with my amp when the voltage drops there is a sort of whine from the speakers. It is kind of like alternator whine but not as high pitched, and with the car off. I think that is what you are hearing.

Jamal
Ok I did what u said the sub is blown though I tried to put it in a friends car and hook it up to his amp and is still sounded like it was blown so I guess I gotta get some new subs luckily JL Audio main store is locted in Florida where I live so maybe I can get a really good deal on them thanks for ur help

rosebudd
jamal,

when you reinstall your new subwoofer set the following on your amp if possible.
1. crossover at 80-90hz
2. infrasonic filter at 30hz
3. crossover slope at 12db if possible
now, use a reference cd to adjust your gains. turn your gain and bass boost all the way down. if your radio goes to 35, adjust amp gain so woofer distorts at around 30 or so, this will eliminate any clipping problems your amp may be having. adjust bass boost no more than 6-10db or until no distortion is evident. you will also wan't to remember not to smoke your mids and highs during this set up, so adjust them using the same process, and be sure bass on radio if flat.

rosebudd
jamal,

i almost forgot, fix your ground. you have to ground the amp with the same gauge wire you are taking into it, if you don't your amp will run very hot and will become less efficent, which means less power causing less control over the driver, leading to a burnt voice coil.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us