No sound from rear speakers

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 384
pioneer-3200ub hu with polk 6.5 in the front and 6x9 in the back. all speakers work when fade is set to 0. however, when i fade to the rear i get no sound from the 6x9s. fade to the front they go off and front work fine. just a note when i fade to the back the front speakers do turn off. any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 635
I assume that all speakers are wired to the HU, no amplifiers. First you should check your wiring:

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
there is an amplifier. currently it's a 2 channel. i'm thinking the speakers aren't wired right, how would i wire them ? also I'm going to be getting a new amp but i'd just like to understand this problem before moving on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 637
OK download this manual and check page 15 of the english version you should have Rear SP/Preout enabled.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-3200UB_OperationMa nual1111.pdf

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
I've already done that, didn't solve the issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
Since I don't want to go through all the manual just reset the head unit as indicated in page 4, this is just to make sure that it is not a settings thing.

Now I want to have clear the following, you say that on the amp which is on the rear you get sound when the balance is centered and no sound when is set to either side and the front works normal. correct?

Lastly you have front speakers powered by the HU and rear speakers powered through the amp correct?

Just curious what's the model of the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
reset the HU did not solve the problem.

Four speakers total, 2 6.5 in the front and 2 6x9s in the rear all connected to an amp. When fade/balance is set normal i get audio from all the speakers. If i move balance left or right i get sound from the respective side. However, when i fade to just the rear speakers i get no sound from the rear. Faded to rear no sound comes from front speakers, as it should be. Fade to front I still get sound from front and rear just as if fade was set normal.

The amp I had on there was a Phoenix Gold 2.5.2 I think. I removed it because I kept getting engine whine and I am sure it wasn't a grounding issue. Put my old Orion HCCA 250 on to confirm this using same power and ground and it works fine, but still the issue while fading to rear.

If it turns out to be the way I wired the speakers(which I don't exactly remember) I will probably have to rewire then anyways since I am considering a 5 channel amp to run the 4 speakers plus a 12" infinity kappa perfect I have.

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
Howie, let me quote you here:

"Four speakers total, 2 6.5 in the front and 2 6x9s in the rear all connected to an amp."

Are you saying that you are running all four speakers in a single 2 channel amplifier?? if you do that is a clue.

Silver Member
Username: Thelonewolf

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 334
lol *smiles* this is what i thought...

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Didn't really think about it I guess. i thought since multiple subs can be connected and bridged the same applied. I have been out of the car audio game for a while. registered here in '05 and haven't done much since, damn high school was fun haha.

any chance you can provide any resources on how to connect 4 speakers to two channels(if possible). so if i got a 5 channel amp the best way to do it would be all four speakers to each channel, then sub to 5th. is it even possible to run 4 speakers to 2 channels?

Silver Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 336
yes it is possible to do 4 to 2... but i wouldnt... you can run your fronts from the amp and the rears from your HU....

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
the only concern is that the speakers are rated for higher than the HU will put out. is a 5 channel amp with this system a solid way to go? i don't care about huge bass anymore, i just wanted something to fill it out, like 300w to the sub would probably do well. plus i need the cargo space. thoughts?

Silver Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 338
i would still put the rears on the HU... its just rear fill... as for a sub... well get something off of caraudioclassifieds.org personally thats not enough for me... but there are many options out there..

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
I an still missing something on your original issue, you just can't fader and balance on a 2 channel amplifier, but you can half fader so.....

Regarding a new system there are subwoofers that work on infinite baffle mode, which in other words mean that you don't need a box for them to work. and yes there are 5 channel amps, pretty expensive usually like this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12415_Alpine-PDX-5.html

You can surely do better with a 4 channel plus 1 monoblock, neat carries a high price tag.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
I decided i can run the orion bridged at 2 ohms and run the 4ohm dvc to 2ohms and get 400w to a 350w rms sub. i'll just have to pick up a 4 channel for the other speakers,

also, how far above rms rating can you go before you have an issue? the 6.5 are 65w rms 180 peak and the 6x9s are 100w rms. question is, how high above rms rating can you go on a speaker without fear of blowing them? I'm trying to find a nice medium between the two rms ratings.

btw i appreciate all the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
4 channel amplifiers have separate gain control for front and rear channels, here is a suggestion for a 80W RMSx4@4 ohm:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29976_MB-Quart-Q4.80.html

You could even go to a 100Wx4 and limit the front channel, but they are more expensive, anyways I could suggest one if you want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
yeah what 100wx4 would you recommend?

I just thought of something else. My HU only has 2 sets of rca outputs. one for the fronts and the other is for rear/sub-woofer. so my idea of running a 4-channel amp plus the sub-woofer wouldn't work with this HU, correct?

Silver Member

Post Number: 662
Yes it can work either if you give up fader (it gets preset in the 4 channel) or the sub level becomes slave to the rear channel.

Also if you add a dash equalizer on the front you can get all 3 signals from it, you just fader on the equalizer.

For amp I can suggest:

Exactly 100WPC:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22708_Hifonics-HFi100.4.html

125WPC but I just like better MB Quart:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27474_MB-Quart-ONX4.125.html

Silver Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 340
i would say for more money and an amp that will last a long time... http://www.db-r.com/sell/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67_68& products_id=193

but that is just me...

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
so for the MB ONX4.125 how would I hook it up. there's two seperate rcas for channels 1 and 2, then another for 3 and 4. if i were to to run the four speakers from thsi to my HU which rca would I use, assuming i used the rear/sub rca on my HU for the mono block.

I think going with a 4 channel makes more sense that way it gives me more options if i decide not to put the sub i have in, or if i ever want to take it out i can hook the rear/sub rca into the 4-channel and still be able to fade. my ideas mislead?

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
As before there are two ways of setting this up, one would be to set the rear channel as full range on the HU and run 2 RCA sets both if which would go to the 4 channel BUT you would use Y splitters to feed the sub amp. In this case the sun level will change with the rear channel level.

The second way to do it would to set the rear channel as sub on the HU and run 2 RCA one of which will go to the 4 channel and would use Y splitters to feed all 4 RCAs on that amp. The other RCA set would go to the sub amp. In this case you can't fader from the head unit but you can from the separate gains that the 4 channel have for 1-2 and 3-4 and the sub gain can be set from the HU.

The third method as before is adding an equalizer, which would let you both fader and control sub level from the dash, an alternative to this, of course is using a HU with 3 RCA outputs.

Yes at some point you could use the 4 channel as a one bridged channel 500W RMS @ 4 ohms and two 125W RMS @ 4 ohms channels for front speakers,

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
Yes, a 4 channel can be used in 4,3 or 2 channels so its very flexible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
last question. assuming i decide to run the additional orion 1x400w at 2ohm what awg wire should i use? the two amps will be hooked up to a distribution block i have and then to the battery. what should the awg of the wire from the block to the battery be?

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
Ok if you use the 4 channel only for 4 ohm speakers it will take only 500W RMS, if we add a 400W RMS amp, total current draw will be:

900/(12x0.7) = 107A max

Upload

So most likely 4AWG after the distribution block with 8AWG

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30044_db-Link-FB428.html

If you ever consider a dual bridge for the 4 channel then go for 2 AWG.

Silver Member

Post Number: 394
another thought, should I have any concern for the stock alternator in my car? I don't know how many amps it is but I can't imagine it's anything special since it's stock. dimming head lights are somewhat annoying.

also, as for your post on rca splitting and such, which route do you recommend i take? i'm thinking using a y-split for all 4 to the 4 channel, then the sub from the HU to the sub amp. the sound of the subs changing with the rear speakers doesn't sound too appealing but i could be wrong. so much for a last question =P

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
1) To be sure what make/model/year is your car, with that I can get the current rating of the alt. ALSO which sub will you use make/model.

2) If you don't mind loosing fader and get independent control of the sub then that's best for you, but I would add the $50 EQ if I didn't want to loose anything.

3) nevermind, keep asking all you need.

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
2004 chevy blazer 2door

infinity kappa perfects 12" 350wrms

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
Ok that Blazer has a 100A alternator so you have no problems, you may want to put a battery for car audio use next time or in case yours is in bad shape. Just avoid using the audio with the engine turned off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
i also have a distribution block with no fuse in it, can i use that for the ground wires so i can run both to same location?

Silver Member

Post Number: 680
Try to connect both amp wires to the same chassis spot if you can, if you can't then use the block but make the tightest connections, you know how it goes with bad grounds.

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
I know this is getting away from speakers but, when I replaced the factory HU with the Pioneer the antenna didn't fit into the Pioneer HU. would this adapter be what I need in order to make it fit? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1685_American-International-GM-6.html

figured i'd fix that while I was tearing everything else out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
Yes, that should be the one unless that was not a stock antenna.

Username: Reaperofsouls187

Post Number: 1
I am having the same fade problem, but with a Dual XD1228 hu and no amp. I have even wired the speakers straight to the hu without using any extra wire and still had the problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 750
Welcome Steven, your case is simpler, it can only be that you wired your speakers wrong or the HU has a problem, take a look at your manual wiring diagram:

Upload

Take a close look at the colors of the wires and position for each speaker if you did things right then it's a HU malfunction (Dual is really low quality).

Username: Reaperofsouls187

Post Number: 2
I was thinking that it might be the hu, but I was hopeful that there might be a different solution, also it is worth mentioning that the original radio only had 5 wires coming out for the speakers rather than the 8 that most have.

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
If you are testing the HU with installed speakers most likely you have miswired something. You have to make sure that your actual connections are like in the diagram and that no other connections exist elsewhere that you can't see.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us