When should I add a second battery?

Username: Rmike21561

Maryland USA

Post Number: 9
I am running two amps. First is a Soundstream RUB 600.4 and second is a hifonics 1500D mono block amp @ 1 ohm.(Total= 2100 watts max) I've only had it hooked up for a few minutes and blew the fuse from the battery. (only a 60 amp, no big deal, ordered an ANL 200 amp fuse & block) The local shop told me to install a second battery. What do you guys think? Should I or are they just trying to get my money?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 407
The only thing a second battery is gonna do is let you run you system when the car is off for a longer period of time. A 2nd battery will also put more strain on your alt. trying to charge both at the same time. IMO I would upgrade your alternator to like a 200 amp alternator.

syed ali
Unregistered guest
actually a second batter might be just the right thing for you. using a second battery with the right isolator will help. it will take the strain out of your main battery.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4453
david is correct here.
the isolator will only separate the batteries like a diode network so that they don't see each other.
the alternator still has to recharge both batteries, and it still supplies all electrical current when the car is running.
you'll want a larger alternator.
you'll want an isolator and additional deepcycle batteries dedicated for the audio system if you plan to use the audio system at high volume for extended periods without the engine running, and above idle.

Unregistered guest
ok i did this and it dident work at all i installed a big deepcycle batery in the trunk and an isolater wired it all up corect at i side ov the isolater it pumps out 12v and the other its 14.4 the 14.4 has 2 be put to the engin or there wil not be enough power 2 make a spark and the engin wil have 0 performance but the audio wil be wicked
so u have 2 put the 12v suply to your audio and then it sucks u have a good hit ov bass and distortion city sounds like a 12year old girl installed it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us