Can someone help me with this? Glasswolf?

Cheap Guy
Unregistered guest
I need to know how to install RCA preouts for my factory headunit. 95 Explorer factory head unit.

Ok I've been looking at this diagram on how to use the relays so your unit stays on until door is open. I'm not quite understanding the diagram. Especially where the door trigger line is. And you should be using the relays in your fuse box under your hood right?

Here's how to wire the head unit using relays so it stays on until the car door is opened as well:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#drto

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4196
maybe you'd be better off having a pro do this work for you?

Cheap Guy
Unregistered guest
Well to get pro install around here cost both an arm and a leg, so I take matters into my own hand by finding someone who can help and make sure I have my father help because he's pretty good with electronics and hooking up stuff, it's just that he's not that good in car audio. I can install head units and amps and that good stuff it's just that I've never done that particular job. Well can anybody in here explain this. I would greatly appreciate it.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4207
you need separate relays. you can order them from partsexpress.com for about $5 each.
the door trigger is above the kick panel, under the dash usually. it'll be the wire coming from the pin that turns on the dome light when you open the door.

to use your factory head unit you'll need to buy a line reducer or line out converter.
they suck for sound quality but they'll give you an RCA level line voltage.

Cheap Guy
Unregistered guest
you are the man glasswolf...I'll take your advice anyday. With the information provided I understand of how to do this install and going to try and let you know how it goes.

One more question radio accesory wire is the power antenna wire right?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4229
if you order the relays from partsexpress, get them with the harness plugs. they offer the relays for a few bucks more with a plug-in wiring harness as opposed to just the raw relay. these make it a cinch to wire stuff up.. simplifies things like this a lot when you have wires right there and you can swap relays easily if one ever fails.

in the diagram, accessory means the switched ignition power lead for the radio.
this is the wire that usually supplies power to the radio when keys are in and ignition is switched to the ON position.
what oyu're doing is adding a latch into that circuit to retain power until the dome light comes on as opposed to switching off as soon as the key is removed. the circuit controls or latches that power line to the radio. (usually the red wire on aftermarket head units)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4230
PS, "fused +12" has to be a constant +12, like the memory lead. not a switched +12 or it'll lose power when the keys are removed and defeat the circuit's purpose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us