1ohm stable? Need help!

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 43
I have a rockford pro bd1001...it says it does 1000rms @2ohms....wanting to know if I could wire some sub to it at 1 ohm without.things blowing up or it sounding like sh!t...is it possible?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 394
Unhappily no, it will overheat and enter protection mode or blow at 1 ohm load.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Ok so if both subs are wired parallel to 2 ohms, and each sub has.its own wiring terminal, can I run each subs positive and.negatove to the amp and the amp read it.as.2.ohm? Or will it read it as one ohm?

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1363
Yes, if you want to get the 1000 Watts RMS you will need to wire your Subwoofers into a 2 Ohm load. As Joe Durkham stated, this Amplifier cannot handle a 1 Ohm load.

As far as answering your second question, it all depends on what Subwoofers or VC configuration your using. What are the Subwoofers you plan on using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Jl w6v2 dual 4 ohm...is there a way to wire them to 2 ohm....i will have 2 of them 12"

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1365
If you plan on using two DVC 4 Ohm Subwoofers, it is not possible to create a 2 Ohm load. You are looking at either a 1 Ohm load wired in Parallel or a 4 Ohm load wired in Series/Parallel.

Do you already own the Subwoofers? If not, I could recommend other 12" Subwoofers that would be a better match with that Amplifier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
ok so I'm really having a hard time joe...my first amp was a waste of time, now I finally got a good amp, and now i'm matching some subs to it...its been difficult, and really i dont buy brand new like you guys always suggest....i'm a craigslist shopper, I live in so-cal so craigslist is chock full of great deals man. So I came across a set of rockford punch hx2's....how are these compared to some jl w6v2's? i'm having trouble finding w6v2's that are dual 2ohm....everyone has a set of dual 4 ohm, and that is just not going to work. so the rockford hx2's i've found are dual 2 ohm, but I'm looking for SQL....something that sounds good, hits those low lows, and sounds good while they're doing it....you feel me? they are 15" so they should be able to hit the lows pretty good. just kind of using you guys as a place to bounce off of....also I bought a new car!! a 1996 lexus es300. wanting to know if I run the rockford pro bd1001 is the alternator that is installed going to be able to handle it, I want to do the big 3, but i'm curious to know if I should put a second battery in the back, or do anything else?

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Punch HX2's all come in dual 4 ohm or at least this manual suggests so:

Punch HX2 Manual Download

Also RF subs are SPL subs, will not match SQ of w6's and finally 2 15"s are a damn big box, each sub needs 2.5 cuft effective and to that you need to add the port airspace and the mdf!

v3 JL subs are SVC so any two 4 ohm paralleled will give 2 ohm load you need.

Here is a SQ/SPL sub that will blow everything else for below $200 going as low as 15"s and really are dual 2 ohm:

http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-440939-1457539?url=http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/s howdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

Or you could get Joe S' new shining super Fi Q sub, I believe its a 15" at $300 or so will defeat in price 2 type Rs and with the kind of displacement it sports you won't miss a second sub.

Regarding the alternator, it's 90A for a 1996 take a look:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/guides/lexus/es300/alternator.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Ok so youre saying joe s is selling a fi q? See I was thinking 2 w6s or 2 w3v3s at first, then I saw those hx2s for a good price, now you think that 1 fi q will hit as hard if.not harder then 2 subs that handle less power?
And joe get at me about that fi q if youre trying to sell one email me dcollister440@gmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
No, he just bought it, but the idea is very interesting, it is really cheap for what it does, less wood cheap as 2 type Rs, in the rare case you could find one used that would be all you need. Pretty sure dual 1 ohm are available, configure coils in series and you are all done at 2 ohms.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1369
Overall dcollister, there are four different suggestions I could make with your Rockford Fosgate bd1001P Amplifier:

Suggestion #1: Purchase two Subwoofers that are 2 Ohm DVC that have anywhere from 350-500 Watts RMS and wiring them in Series/Parallel to create a 2 Ohm load.

Suggestion #2: Purchase two Subwoofers that are 4 Ohm SVC that have anywhere from 350-500 Watts RMS and wiring them in Parallel to create a 2 Ohm load.

Suggestion #3: Purchase one Subwoofer that is 4 Ohm DVC that has anywhere from 750-1000 Watts RMS and wire it in Parallel to create a 2 Ohm load.

Suggestion #4: Purchase one Subwoofer that is 2 Ohm SVC that has anywhere from 750-1000 Watts RMS and wire it in Parallel to create a 2 Ohm load.

If you can follow this guide, it should make it easier for you to find the right Subwoofer on Craigslist that you can use on your Rockford Fosgate bd1001P.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
thanks as always guys...i got a 13.5" jl w3v3 svc 4ohm in a ported box tuned to 32hz....i think its around 2 cubes....I'm getting everything hooked up in like 13 hours and counting...can't effin wait....been too long without boom booms man...i'm getting the 1001bd hooked up and a p400-4 hooked up....imma just run the 4 channel to the current factory speakers then when they blow replaces em....wanna gimme some suggestions? got a pair of 6x9's on the back and 6.5 2-way or 3-way components in the front....I want em good and loud....I had infinity kappas before and they really didn't do it for me....anything else? how would you do it if it was your car...what would you put? within reason now. no 1500 set of components from jls top of the line now or those 800 rainbows! be realisitic, lets say $500 for front and rear....should I do 8" mid basses in the back? should I do 2 or 3-way 6x9s in the back? for the front I want good misbass, I know glasswolf always says that 6.5's aren't midbass speakers, but come on they hit alright....lemme know

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
For a component set very high power and output not too expensive and most of all 2 ohm to take advantage of the RF 400.4:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22324_Image-Dynamics-CXS62-v.2-2-ohm.html

For midbass drivers you can use 2 of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-376

You will need also a 3 way active crossover to setup the midbass drivers which can be inexpensive used.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
So I got my deck installed....that thing is insane...i've never had a deck with so many options, and my factory components sound great! i'm pretty excited man....on friday the people are installing my mono amp and 4 channel amp....the lexus comes with a factory amp to power the components...going to bypass that, having them run all fresh 12g wires to the components from the amp. I'm pretty excited man this is going to be my first really good set up....I was curious to know what a good tuning set up would be...currently I have the subwoofer LPF set at 80hz with a 18db slope
then the rear HPF set @80hz on a 12 db slope
the fronts HPF set @125hz on a 12 db slope....how does that sound? that as far as the eq how should I set that up? any suggestions?

also I went to have the receiver Identify my phone for bluetooth and the phone asked me for a 4 digit pin I guess for security purposes or something....anyone know how to reset that? Imma go and fiddle with it some more, but just figured I'd ask

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
If you got 6"x9"s back cross the sub and 6"x9"s at 60Hz it you have 6.5"s on the front 80Hz is fine for them.

When you put midbass drivers things change a lot:

sub 0-50Hz
midbass drivers 50-120
front speakers 120 -20K

The first crossover point (bass to midbass) should be slope steep.

But it all depends heavily on the speakers. When you use a standalone active crossover the best way to setup is wire it temporarily to the front seats and have a good listen, that will give better results than any guess numbers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
Straight from the manual of your bd1001:

Upload

For 2 amps you need to do this separately disconnecting the RCAs of the one you are not working with, when you are done with both connect all RCAs make a note the position of both gains.

If there's too much bass lower gain on the bass amp, same thing goes for mid-higs, if too loud lower the the gain on the speakers amp until you get a good balance.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14529
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/dmmgain.html

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/whatisgain.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
got my car back today....man oh man is all I have to say. got a good install done, it looks clean in the back, no craigslist lames installed it...did it at bestbuy so I could have the lifetime warranty and so I wouldn't have to pay interest on it for 18 months...got everything rewired so its good wires running to the mids/highs, and the sub knocks pretty hard....of course as soon as I jumped in I was like man, it needs to be louder!!! MORE BASS!!!! LOL! obsession at its core....anyways I have the filters set on the deck kind of high, i'm going to reset them and to my likings....that deck is so sick...a few things on there that I don't really understand and I don't have the manual to read up on it...you guys know of a website that has the manual for the deh-980bt?? theres a TA setting that I don't understand and it asks me if I want it to go by inches or centimeters? kinda confusing. anyways I also am still running the factory speakers, they are pretty good, sound real clean, and I don't think I will have to be switching them out anytime soon, the guy ran my p400-4 to the factory speakers...and that jl 13.5 w3v3 hits everything so clean and loud....thanks for all the help, guidance and suggestions guys! appreciate your enthusiasm

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Here is the manual:

Pioneer 980BT Manual

That deck was among the best ever from Pioneer, I think that there won't be any better decks from them at that price point in a very long time, The centimeters/inches you see in the TA function should be set equaling the distance you are from each speaker in your car, and compensates for delays due to sound propagation.

Also your sub's enclosure has to do with the output you get, hope its ported and custom designed, if not you could be getting more out of it.

JL Audio makes great subs and if you ever upgrade your speakers you will also be surprised on the improvement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us