Kicker L7 12 inch new model opinion

Bronze Member
Username: E3_overkill

Post Number: 46
Hey guys one of buddy is looking to put 2 kicker 12inch L7 dual 4 ohm. Hes would be running them off and RE XTX 3000. 1. And wiring them at 1 ohm giving them 700 rms a peice. Since the amp only puts out 1400wrms @ 1ohm. So my question is do you think these subs will get really loud, and are they good for an everyday system. Anf also what kind of box should he use? Ported or sealed ? He definitely looking for SPL. i personilty said ported will get louder. But if so how many cubic foot should each sub have, and what shkuld it be tuned to? Thank guys.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 678
Those L7 can be in seaaled or ported...I prefer ported. If u going strictly for burps or braggging, tune high in a small box (45 hz in 1.75 cubes) if u want daily, that will get old fast. Max volume is 3.25, so I says go 3 cubes tuned to 35 or so for good range of frequency reproduction and spl. The subs r fine for daily, just make sure ur gain is set properly to avoid clipping and premature coil failure. Beat the hell outta them for a year and they will b dead. Enjoy em while u can I say, cuz those subs can do the duty

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 679
Those L7 can be in seaaled or ported...I prefer ported. If u going strictly for burps or braggging, tune high in a small box (45 hz in 1.75 cubes) if u want daily, that will get old fast. Max volume is 3.25, so I says go 3 cubes tuned to 35 or so for good range of frequency reproduction and spl. The subs r fine for daily, just make sure ur gain is set properly to avoid clipping and premature coil failure. Beat the hell outta them for a year and they will b dead. Enjoy em while u can I say, cuz those subs can do the duty

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
What do you mean by get old fast ? And is their a way you can have a small enclosure and still have those an everyday system. And so your saying those subs dont last long ?

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Post Number: 54
If he tunes then for SPL and uses them everyday they will wear out quickly and need reconing

You need to no how much space he has/willing to give up?
My self idd get the cvx154 as there close in specs the l7 12 has a cone area of a round 14.4" both are good in slimer boxes and both will run on 700wrms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
So if he dont want them to wear up fast. How should he tune them ? Or just put them in a sealed box ? That well help on the wearing out process?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 680
I don't see how the sub will "wear out" any quicker in a sealed box, im just saying that the L7s are hit-or-miss when it comes to longevity. To optimize life span, make sure your amp is set ccorrectly and don't play super-loud on frequencies far away from ur box's tune. And by "that will get old fast", I meant having an annoyingly high-tuned box for spl ( and with an L7) will kill any SQ that was once in ur grasp and ur bub will be wanting to change setups

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 681
Fixed typo: I don't see how a small box or an spl high-tuned box will wear out the subs any faster than any other box. Just how u play it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
With the power he is going to supply them in a ported box he will be over powering them by 25% and will reduce the life span hugely, in a sealed box power is on max but spl will be reduced.
Thats how if he tunes for spl they will were out quickly.

Does he already own sub?
Does he already own amp?
How much space is available?
Is he open to other options in subs/amp?

Myself i like the big bass the comes from the L7 15" and i myself was looking at putting them in another car, but ive never had a car that ive kept for more then 2 years so longevity wasn't something i was after, now that i have a new car and plane on keeping it for a while it doesnt make any sense to use l7 unless im going to compete or are willing to replace/repair ever 1-2 years.

If he is willing to look at other sub idd look at the kicker cvx12 or cvx15

specs on L7 12
86.9db 1w/1m
sealed 1.25 sq=2cuft 750wrms max
ported 1.75 sq=3.25cuft 600wrms max

specs on cvx12
87.1db 1w/1m
sealed 1cuft 750wrms, sq=4.6cuft300wrms
ported 1.75cuft 300wrms sq=2.25cuft 700wrms

specs on cvx15 (my choise)
91.6db 1w/1m (already twice as loud on same watts)
sealed 1.8cuft 1000wrms sq=5.2cuft 500wrms
ported 3cuft 500wrms sq=5cuft 900wrms

Also a alt upgrade may not be required for cvx as less power is required

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 682
John....whatter u talkin bout?? Why do u have sooo many wrms ratings? And where did u get this info? Kicker's site says they can handle 750 wrms and does not specify any difference depending on enclosure. He is only able to send each 700 wrms, and depending on what vehicle we r dealing with...prolly not even that. And especially not for any length of time. With stock electrical, they might see 600 apiece. And what is sq in your previous post? An sq tune?? (Low tune?)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
If you on the kicker site
Go to "support" on the top left of page
Then scroll down to "manuals"
Then select "subwoofer"
Then "L7"
Then your mdl and language

With all kicker stuff the recomend different size boxes and ports for different apps
And the bigger the box the less wrms they can handle
The wrms given on the main page is the max wrms in there box design and with all of the kicker sub the box cuft includes the sub displacment

Now lets take just the L7 12
the smallest box it will run in is 1.25cuft at 750wrms now for best performance it recomends a box 14.5x 14.5x 14.5" od in 3/4 mdf but can handle 750wrms in a box up to 2 cuft after that the wrms need to lowered
Now the resion they give 2 sizes are for different apps
The first is for small area or to jam more subs in smaller area
The second is to get the best sq out of that sub
They also say that during testing they found no advantages to useing larger boxes in sq and spl.

Now the same sub in a ported incloser
The smallest box is 1.75cuft including sub + port. with a port opening of 2.5x 16.25" x 19.5" long, max 600wrms
And for best sq 3.25cuft with a port of 3x 13.25" x 14.5", max 600wrms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Thats why so many people all complain about there l7 sub surounds failing as they overdrive them due to just buying an amp based off the max wrms ratting and not by the box sizes and type used in their app.

If they were my subs and amp and i had no other options i would build the biggest box i can within 1.25-2 ea. And leave them sealed

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Well the largest space he has well probablu be able 1.75 cubic foot per sub. So he doesnt have that much room avaible. So probably go with the smaller box size. So what other subs should he get if want good SPL, but not wanting the subs to wear out fast. So i long lasting sub, with good SPL, and not to much room. Probably like i said about 1.75 cubic foot per sub. About max. But that can handle about 700- 750 wrms.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 684
That L7 is a good choice, actually. A better choice could be the cvx. It requires smaller enclosures (1.75-2.25 ccubes ported) and will still get wild with u. Prolly last longer coz the round surround. There could be better options that I have never experienced, but some E members have. Start a new thread if u really wanna delve into sub options

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Yeah ill probably start a new thread. For that then. So in your opinion do you think 2 12inch alpine type r or 2 12inch kicker cvx's will get louder? Both be running at 750 wrms.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 685
That L7 is a good choice, actually. A better choice could be the cvx. It requires smaller enclosures (1.75-2.25 ccubes ported) and will still get wild with u. Prolly last longer coz the round surround. There could be better options that I have never experienced, but some E members have. Start a new thread if u really wanna delve into sub options

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 686
The typeRs are rated for 600 wrms. Other than that I don't know much about em
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us