Which would be louder ?

Bronze Member
Username: E3_overkill

Post Number: 40
Hey guys i was wondering which would be louder (1) 15 inch alpine type r or (2) 12 inch alpine type r (new models ) ? And i have another question do you guys thing one 15 type r could hold up to 1500 wrms @ at 1 ohm. As a everyday subwoofer? The (1) 15 inch would be in a 3 cubic foot SPL Box (ported) and the (2) 12 inch in 1.75 cubic for each sub (ported). So i want to know which do you think would be louder ? Thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3704
The 2 12s will be louder. And if you gave the single 15" 1500wrms it would probably last a day or so.

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 264
1) 2 12"s will be louder.
2) the Alpine SWR-1223D can go up to 600W RMS no matter the way is wired.

That said Alpines are low sensitivity subs: lower SPL per watt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Hahaha oh shot that would suck. Well thanks for the help man. Yeah so then ill go with the (2) 12 inch. I sppreciate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
So what do you think has better SPL per watt? But in the same price range as the type r 12. I was going to get the 4 ohm verison so i can wire them at 1 ohm. So they would be getting 750 a piece of my amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
OK so I don't really recommend this for SQ but in terms of SPL to give you an idea:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16665_Pioneer-TS-W3002D4.html

Its five db higher sensitivity which means between 3 to 4 times louder per watt and on the top of that 1000W RMS instead of 600W

So at least 3 Alpines for 1 Pioneer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
A JL audio 12w3v3 will sound louder at 500W RMS than a type R at 600 W RMS. for an example of a SQ sub.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3705
Joe,you're saying 1 of those Pioneer subs will be louder than 3 of the Alpines? lmao! Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

And I doubt the JL will be louder than the Alpine R.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Well in terms of SPL per watt YES but of course the 3 Alpines will get you 1800W RMS so at full power of course NOT!

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2273
E3 Overkill,
the 15" type R with 1500rms going to it will not last long. Gooing with 2 12" type-rs on the same power will be louder because of increased cone area and they will be able to handle the power better.

Joe Durkham,
More things have to go into account than JUST spl per watt... quit looking at just 1 parameter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Malib00tay, I agree that you just can't judge performance of a sub just in terms of sensitivity. But 85 dB as with 12" Type Rs certainly is in the lower end of efficiency for that diameter-.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Okkk,, dang guys lets clam down. Its all chill. I just need to know some info. So ive been hearing alot lately about ssa audio, and sundown audio. So do you guys think those are good for SPL as well. But i need a sub thats daul 4 ohm and can handle around 750 wrms. And the alpine type r's are the only subs ive seen that have that and arent to expensive. So thats what im looking for. So if you guys know of any thing like that let me know. But thanks for all the info already.

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Post Number: 42
So you need either 12 or 15" subs to handle 1500wrms @1ohm in a max 3.5cuft box for max spl

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
For spl only in my pref order
2x Kicker s12L74 1.75cuft ported ea
1x RE Audio XXX15 3.5cuft ported
2x Kicker cvx122 1,75cuft ported ea
3x Alpine SWR-1223D 1.2cuft ported ea
2x Pioneer TS-W3002D4 1,75cuft ported ea
3x JL Audio 12W3v3-4 1.25cuft sealed ea

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Well im looking for (2) 12 inch subs. Im not really about having 3 subs. And you think two kicker cvx's 12 inches will be louder then to alpine type r's ? Cause their going to be wired at 1 ohm so they need to be dual 4 ohm subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Both are high sensitivity.
Sundowns are frequently used in SPL systems, very loud and low.
SSA DCONs are SQ subs 300W RMS rated not first choice for SPL.

The Type Rs and the JLs are SQ/SPL

The Kicker CVX124 are 750W RMS 87 dB so will be louder than type Rs but those are SPL only.

E3_overkill, I would also say that listening to stuff will help a lot to find your taste.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3204
"The Kicker CVX124 are 750W RMS 87 dB so will be louder than type Rs but those are SPL only."

PLEASE JOE, STOP THE MADNESS . If he was going to under power the woofer by a lot, then I would consider looking at the sensitivity of the woofer, but he's not. He's looking to properly power them, so sensitivity is not a critical thing right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
The CVX's will sound louder than the Type Rs (that's his question) you cannot see watts alone when it comes to loudness.

Sure sensitivity is important to get more out of a weak amp but that's another topic.

So what SQ/SPL sub would you recommend below $200.

I also understand that every sub is unique and you may prefer Kicker sound just because.. the better way to pick what you really want is to listen for yourself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
If you ask me
Look at e3 first post SPL
There is no SQ required

E3 what amp do you have?
As you talking about 1500wrms @1ohm

What is you total budget?
What is you max cuft?
What amp do you have?
What type of subs are you after SPL, SQ or SQL?
If space and budget or meet why not 3x 12"?

You need to remember in 12" alot of subs are 5-600wrms and if you over power them on an everyday streeter you will kill them.
Also If you after SLP you will be over it soon enough
Idd look for a SQL sub something that 60/40

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1271
Idk what your budget is but a couple 12'' ssd's sounds like what your looking for. Maybe you could find a couple used ones somewhere?

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154e53fd634a6d3/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Those ssds are really good SQ/SPL subs, need a lot of power to get the most out of them though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Well i have a MB Quarts 1500. 1 D mono. And it puts out 1500. 1 wrms @ 1 ohm. And yes space is a problem. My trunk isnt very big. And see im looking for SQL. i still want the sound quatily. But im since i want the person fivr cars over to here me. Thats what i truly want. And all of your guys imputs are greatly appteciated. Just let me know whayvi can get for around 200 per sub. That can be wire @ 1 ohm. And can handle around 750 wrms a peice. Thank guys for all the opinions.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14494
since you're looking at the same brand and make of sub, compare the Xmax, combined/total cone surface area, and sensitivity of both setups to see which yields the superior output at a given power, assuming both setups would get the same amount of power.
also if they do not, then figure you add 3dB for every time you double the power to either setup.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 431
Current amp & 2 12's

For $200 I'd look into used & better subs that could take more power or atleast be trusted on more power like, I dunno, maybe HDC2.5's or IA LI's or DC's, maybe get that 1500 to less than 1 ohm.

Look at the FS, motor force, sensitivity, and try to get atleast 3" voice coils, A good mix of SQL and SPL is a 35 Hz tune, and for SPL use lots of port area. You might want to kerf it if it's a slot port.

More power & 1 15

2 12's should be louder with that amp, but if you want to upgrade later with more power it would be nice to already have a box for a 15" (3.5 cubes NET @ 35 Hz would be great). What 2 12's could handle what 1 15 can nowadays? There's not many 4" voice coil 12's out there, and some 15's are taking 7k daily.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us