Hooking up amp and sub to factory stereo

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 20
So I'm buying either a 1996 or 1995 toyota avalon XLS, they both come with stock premium stereo, which I would like to keep because they sound really good. But of course I am going to need some more bass. I have that RF 1500bd that I want to hook up to a pair of p3s in a ported box. How would I go about doing this? And how would I go about hooking up an ipod to this as well? I know there is the radio adapter thing that has the station on it, but it doesnt sound that good. Is there something that I can use like an aftermarket hook up that I could plug in the ipod too?

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1240
Your gonna need a PAC AOEM-TOY:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11184_PAC-AOEM-TOY.html

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 128
Well you could hear your iPod with this if it has a cassete player:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-CASSETE-TAPE-ADAPTER-MP3-IPOD-NANO-CD-IPHONE-/2006344446 12?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits&hash=item2eb6beab4 4

It will maybe do better than the FM transmitter but not that much.

There is another expensive method: have all your speakers amp powered, then it can be directly connected easy.

Now I can guarantee that a decent aftermarket HU will outperform that stock HU, it will look better too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
that brings me along to my next question. can I keep the system the way it is, because it sounds good, and install an aftermarket head unit, which would allow me to put an extra amp for subs in the trunk.....and the speakers/system thats in there currently are amp powered, at least i believe they are

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 131
Ok your car audio system has an stock amp take a good look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-PREMIUM-Radio-w-Amp-Wire-Harness-1991-2001 -_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1995Q7cMakeQ3aToyotaQ7cModelQ3aAvalonQQhashZitem 2eb2945d08QQitemZ200564563208QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1242
Do you know if the premium sound is through Bose, Pioneer, Infinity or any other brand? If so, it might not be as simple as replacing the Deck itself.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14446
PAC makes the OEM1 device, which when combined with a pair of wiring harnesses, inserts between a factory deck and the speakers or amplifiers, and gives you 4 RCA pre-out connections for adding amplifiers (and subwoofers)
I used this method for my Jeep. Works great.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1249
That's what I posted in my first link Glass, lol. ^

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
yeah I'm pretty sure it's bose, and really i'd rahter keep the factory HU just because it would be extremely simple, you know? but is there an adapter like the ones mentioned above for adding an amplifier that would also allow me to hook up an ipod? just curious

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1251
If you do have a Bose system, and you do not want to swap the Speakers or Deck, then yes, you are going to need the PAC AOEM-TOY. Even if you replaced the Deck and still kept the Speakers, you would still need to purchase the PAC AOEM-TOY because factory Boss systems work at 1 Ohm, while aftermarket Decks work on 4 Ohms. The PAC AOEM-TOY will make sure to keep your system in the same phase to prevent any damage to the factory Bose Speakers.

As far as the iPod goes, the only Factory Adaptors that I can find are for Fords and other GM vehicles. Nothing for Toyota that I can find anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
you rock joe...i appreciate you being so helpful man

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14452
sorry I mised that Joe. I was being called away and wanted to finish up here so I just read the original post and responded.
PAC has some great tools. I absolutely love their amplifier scroll fans.
(part CF-1 if I recall?)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
thanks guys, appreciate all the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us