Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 136
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-VZ300-3-5--Dash-Receiver/dp/B0032FOJDO
is this a decent hu?

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 76
The customer reviews on amazon would not suggest it is. Anyways it does look nice indeed.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14403
link doesn't work for me.
care to list a make/model?

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1160
Come on Glass, you should see that the Model of the Deck is inside the URL link, lol.

Clarion VZ300: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22246_Clarion-VZ300-VZ-300.html

Personally, I wouldn't buy this Deck, but if the main reason you want it is because of the DVD feature, then I guess you probably wouldn't find a cheaper Deck around like this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
well it was partly due to the dvd player and partly due to the preamps and the price so a combo of those things. boss makes 1 that is cheaper but i'm sure clarion is better. wuts the reason u wouldnt buy it i really dont know wut to look for in a hu. mine that i have now was a sony i bought from a cousin for 40$ only reason i like it is cuz it has lpf and hpf. and customizable eq. does that clarion have both of these things

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
http://www.amazon.com/Phase-Linear-UV10-MultiMedia-Receiver/dp/B003BLLX2Y
would this one be any better than that clarion ive never heard of the brand. if someone could help me find a decent hu with a dvd player for less than 250 shipped or less than 200 would be better i'ld appreciate it
prefarably a single din

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Flip-out HUs are unreliable almost regardless of the brand name. Typically the screen will jam sooner or later.

This seems decent for $297 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVHP2300-AVH-P2300DVD-In-Dash-2-DIN-DVD-Receiv-/1606 12129465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25653a9ab9

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1163
Well DLoco, there are a variety of reasons why I wouldn't purchase the Clarion VZ300. Let me make you a list:

1. Has a low Preamp Voltage of 2 Volts
2. Has a low SNR of 75 dB
3. Lower than average EQ
4. IMO, it looks ugly

Overall, there are a few good benefits about the Clarion VZ300. It has 3 Pairs of RCA outputs, direct USB and AUX inputs, and it is CEA-2006 Compliant.

For the price, I would say it's fair for what it is, but personally I think having a Deck that plays DVD's is pointless unless your building a show car.

As far as the Phase Linear UV10 Deck goes, I honestly do not know too much about the brand, but from compairing between the Clarion VZ300, I would go with the Clarion.

Just in general, I do not like flip up Decks. Why you say? Because typically when the screen is flipped up, it will typically block vents, knobs and/or buttons on the Dash. Also, the screens themself are typically not that reinforced very well. Just pressing it too hard, or accidentally hitting it on the sides may make it snap/break.

At Joe Durkham, that's a pretty decent Deck, but I believe DLoco is looking for a Single DIN, not a Double DIN.

If you really want a good quality Single DIN Deck that plays DVD's, i'd recommend the JVC KD-AVX77. Overall, it's amazing. 5 Volt Preamp, 3 Pairs of RCA outputs, SNR of 95 dB, a fantastic EQ, and is CEA-2006 Compliant. It might be doubled the price, but it is worth every penny.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17254_JVC-KD-AVX77.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
can i find a pretty good head unit for around or less than 200$ that doesn't play dvd's. the dvd player ones that are good are too expensive

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1165
Yea, there are a few good Decks for under $200. Here are a two:

Pioneer DEH-P8300UB:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31077_Pioneer-DEH-P8300UB.html

Alpine CDE-123:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34353_Alpine-CDE-123.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
i also found a few based off y u said u wouldnt buy the clarion i was wandering if u could take a look at these and out of the 2 u just listed and tell me which ones would be the best. like i said dont know a whole lot about hu's so u might say these suck

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X494 this one was the cheapest i found with higher preamp volts

Pioneer DEH-4200UB this one was 200$ exactly

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1166
If you want a Deck from Kenwood under $200, I would personally look into the Kenwood KDC-HD548U:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33459_Kenwood-KDC-HD548U.html

The Pioneer DEH-4200UB was a decent deck, however there is a newer version of it which is the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22379_Pioneer-DEH-P7200HD.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
in your opinion which is the best hu out of all those?
the rest of my system looks like this. fornt doors pioneer 4 way 6.5, rear panels pioneer 2 way 6.5, dash is probly still factory dont know wut size is in there right now, kicker l7 12 with a kenwood kac 9104d but will be changed 2 alpine swr 1243d an hifonics brz1200d. my car is a 1990 eagle talon tsi.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
For features Pioneer comes out on top, both HUs are almost equivalent pick the P7200HD if you want HD radio. Pioneer sound can make standard or even cheap components sound great.

For reliability I would still prefer Alpine. In my opinion Alpine features a more natural sound which shines with SQ components. Has parametric tone controls, HPF, LPF

The Kenwood is the cheaper one it has no particular advantages over the others unless you love its looks. Also no HPF & only 2.5V preouts.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1170
Out of these 4, I would pick the Alpine personally.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
does the pioneer have the lpf and hpf or just the alpine if just the alpine ill pick it in a heartbeat cuz i have it on my old sony and i love the hpf and lpf features. makes where i can turn the volume up higher without distorting or even haveing to worry about my reg speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Both Pioneers above feature HPF; LPF, presettable from 50 to125Hz in five steps, usually the 63Hz is best for 6.5"s

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1176
Both the Alpine and Pioneers come with LPF and HPF's.

The best way to pick between them would be to choose between performance (Apline) or EQ (Pioneer).

Since you seem to be looking more for quality, I think you personally would like the Pioneer over the Alpine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
thank you guys u've really helped me out on that one

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1179
NP

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Not that I recommend this one but it plays DVDs in an external LCD:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18611_Kenwood-KDV-415U.html#tabs

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
thanx but i am goin to go for the pioneer or the alpine atm i'm leaning a little bit more for the pioneer though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
The Alpines parametric EQ is much more powerful than many people think, using properly the Qs can make it work just as or maybe better than a multiband graphic counterpart in many situations if you really know how to use it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Just saying D Loco I think you will do very well with any of the Pioneers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
does either the alpine pr pioneer have that srs thing cuz honestly ive had that on a home stereo and it is on my pc and i have to say im not a very big fan of it. i hooked my pc up to my home theater system and it took me about an hour to adjust it. i dont really know a whole lot about parametric and multiband graphic eq's.i know the eq on the head unit i got now has 7 bars i can adjust to get the sound i want. both hu's will let u customize the eq urself right?

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1182
What is the "srs thing"?

The Pioneer offers several different and sometimes complex EQ settings to tune an Audio System just the way you want it, which can take some time. The Alpine is a more, "jump in and hit the ground running" type of EQ. It's simple, and takes about 1 minute to find the settings you want.

Overall, you'll be happy with both Decks but, if you looking for something more "User Friendly" and simple, go with the Alpine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
srs ( sound retrieval system) it looked like the alpine was more user friendly but i also do like being able to tweak the sounds carefully just dont like srs it's a pain to make it sound right. it'll sound right on some songs and then on others it picks up background riffs and makes them more audible making the music sound funny.i know they've incorporated it into pc's and some home stereo systems but not a whole lot of car audio

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Pioneer features ASR which is similar to what you describe, it has two levels and can be defeated, also it has only five of those seven bars so your EQ options will not improve much really, Alpines EQ can provide excellent results but is harder to get right than a graphic (the one with bars) counterpart.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
ones with bars are really all i know because ive had a lot of different stereo recievers at home which ive used separate eq's with and there all bars. easy for me to adjust. if the alpine doesmt hav bars for the eq how do u set it. this might sound like a dumb question so i am going to take more looks of the alpine.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1183
You know DLoco, don't you have a stereo shop anywhere around your area? These models are at Local stores like Best Buy.

Since you seem to be a hands on type of person, it might just be best for you to actually see what their like and get a feel of how they work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Well besides that you can preview a little this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2sQ0pRdox4&feature=related

The same can be found for every other HU you may be interested.

I am really critical of Alpines way to handle settings, they only show you numbers (instead of bars) say from -7 to +7 for each frequency you want to boost/cut on the EQ, and its the same with their high end HUs.

In the video you can find out how parametric equalization works (sort of).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us