Wiring question for lights.

Silver Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 124
Hi All,

I'm getting some aftermarket running boards for my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. I've already removed the factory running boards. The new running boards has lights on them that would need to be wired to my door switch or dome light. I always like to use the fuse panel and find the fuse that control the door switch or whatever I'm wiring to. I'm sure that I will need to put an in-line fuse in between the lights and the fuse panel. My question is... what amp fuse should I put in between? Will a 10 or 20 amp fuse be suitable? Or should I go higher or lower. I'm thinking whatever the amperage is of the fuse in the fuse box that I should go 5 amps lower. For example, if the fuse that controls the dome light has a 15 amp fuse. I will usually put a 10 amp fuse in between that way if it is too much power coming through it would blow that fuse before the dome light fuse. Can someone please provide any advice? All input would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14329
actually what you'll need to do is this:
use a relay with the trigger line run from your dome light, and the 12V power line from the battery positive terminal.
as for the fuse, look at the packaging for the boards, and see what their current draw is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Thanks GlassWolf your knowledge is so superior. I understand using a relay but I wouldn't know how to connect this to the relay. Which plug on the relay to I plug what into. And once I check what the draw is of the the lights how do I connect the fuse to the relay? Another simple question is what is the advantage of using a relay on this set up? I'm fine at installing just don't know the fundamentals of electronics.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14331
the12volt.com has an amazing set of pages on relay use. check those out and let me know if that doesn't help.
find a diagram of a relay there with the pin-out info, and that should explain it.
a relay just allows a low current 12 volt signal to "energize" or turn on the relay, which then allows a high current circuit to be turned on.
It's an interface between low current and high current circuits.

the fuse goes between the relay and the lights/running board wiring.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

All you need is an SPST relay, rated for the current the lights will require. 5A is probably plenty big enough. Larger won't hurt anything. I think I used 10 and 15A relays in my car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Thanks a lot GlassWolf. I think I should be good from here. The running boards came in and it actually came with a cable to hook up to the lights with an inline fuse already installed with a fuse already inserted. That made it easy for me... I will get the relay and look at the12volt. I used that site a while back and I knew they had a lot of diagrams for relay usage but just couldn't remember the site. We are so lucky to have you as our source of knowledge.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14381
I try to help when I can. I hope it all goes smoothly for ya.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us