Grrr choosing sucks

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 185
ok here it is. I have a VW GTI ya know lil hatchback. I want good clean crisp bass but with some good vibration to it. Not enough to shake the panels off just enough to get a little feeling up front. I was planning on 2 10" Oz Audio vector 2s but i dont think theyll will give me the vibration i want. I can only fit two tens or one twelve so i still have trunk space. any recommendations and dont say JL i cant afford it. Im thinking kicker CVRs

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 276
Xtant Z104 from sounddomain should give ya a nice little bump.

Dayton quatro 10s from parts express also.

Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 29
Kicker 12" solo L5 or L7 depending on your cash situation...kicker solos will pound...i'm got 1 hooked up in a sealed box right now, rattles my lisence plate...I've got 2 of em in a ported box but had to take one out, i'm at my lake house for the month of july so i needed the room...

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 186
but will i also have good sound quality with these that is the question

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 187
now i know glass has xtant on his highly recommended list but i can get this for like 34 bucks on ebay that makes me think twice

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 281
Just because a sub is low in cost doesnt mean its not a good sub. If you want good SQ with nice spl then get the xtant subs.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 190
well you can understand the skeptisism (sp) usually you get what you pay for. Anyone esle have ideas? Should I get 2 10s or one 12?

Bronze Member
Username: Kickercomp

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 28
2 JL 10w0s they are the same price as 10 inch comp vrs and will sound clean and be loud too. they also only need like 100watts-125watts to sound great.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 192
what about these?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUCF10X2A

pretty good price since its in a box. anyone have some ieas for good bump and accuracy?

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 29
how much do u want to spend on the subs??
the 10" w0s would be way better than those in the above link. they r $99 a piece and are perfect for small enclosures and minimal amp power.
for 200 u could get the 2 subs and get a decent dual 10 box even a small one(truck box) will due for these subs. i owned a pair before and they were great.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 194
im listened to those and they dont have what im looking for. They get distorted and sound like crap at high volumes. Im looking no more than 200 for two tens or one 12

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 30
could u fit a 15?

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 197
thats too big hahaha. Id like to hold onto some cargo space. I wish could find a deal an an eclipse 12 in TI for no more than say 250 and then id be all over it but so far i havent had the luck.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 198
i still want some sound quality which im sure deteriorates some with size. so id like to keep it in the 10 or 12 in range. basically its all about sound but id like to throw a good bit o bump in there too

Anonymous

2 comp vr 10 would give u solid vibration and great sq

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 199
whats the SQ on the kicker L7s? if i can get a good deal on a new 12" should i go with that? im sure it vibrates but i wanna know about the sound

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 747
What exactly is your budget? The L7's sound quality suffers due to the square cone, they distort quicker, aren't as accurate, cone flex also a problem, the surround can have problems if you push them too hard, all of these contribute to degraded SQ. They're mainly SPL, I'd stick to a good round cone for SQ/SPL purposes. The durability of an L7 won't be as good as an equivalently built round cone either due to the stress points of the cone design.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 200
my budget is whatever me and my dad can throw together before my bday honestly. I want to try and keep the sub cost under 200. That right now is all im worried about. The box and everything i know someone who can build quality boxes. The amp and kit i can find without a problem. So im trying to keep sub cost under 200 for either one twelve or two tens. Looking for good sq with a hard hitting bass that can reach pretty low in a sealed box without distorting.

Anonymous

go look at some reviews of the kicker comp vr 10's they will hit tight and low....heres a link

12,http://www.audioreview.com/pscCarReview/Car+Audio/Subwoofers/COMP,VR,,1 2`s/PRD_3803_1808crx.aspx#reviews

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 748
My suggestion is an Adire Audio Shiva if you want one twelve. It hits very hard and has excellent SQ, better SQ than a Comp VR. A Shiva is $125, and will do well with about 300W RMS. They do need a larger box, not too extreme, but around 1.5 cu ft, probably no more than two 10's would take up. I'd do a sealed box to extract the performance out of the sub, they drop very very low and have good subsonic performance (below 20hz). If you do a ported box, tune it low (28 hz, maybe lower if possible) and you'll hit harder than the two CVR's would easily, but one Shiva in a sealed box can hit 135+ db in the SUBSONIC range.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 201
two questions:
1. can excurion be related to hard hitting?

2. what does the sensivity rating show?

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 202
so will the subsonic performance give me the vibration im looking for?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 749
1. Yes, the further the sub moves, the more air it's pushing, hitting harder, the Shiva has more excursion than a Comp VR and is a bigger sub, so the SPL between one Shiva and two CVR's would be close.If you put the Shiva in a ported box (I don't recommend it) you'll hit much harder than two sealed CVR's would.
2. The sensitivity rating shows how efficient the sub is. The problem with this rating is that different companies use different methods to fudge the ratings, so more times than not you can't compare apples to apples when you're looking to buy a sub. Many manufacturers rate at 1W/1M, some 2.83V/M (which will show a higher sensitivity when it really isn't), some don't list and get closer to the sub (like .5M instead of 1), and some don't even list the method they use. Adire Audio has a tutorial under downloads on how to get the specs and calculate efficiency yourself, getting the true efficiency instead of a spec that they lied about.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 203
ok so with one of these in a sealed box i can expect great sq and hard hitting bass?

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 204
whats the rms rating on the shiva?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 750
Yeah, it will hit really hard, and will perform similar to the two 10's in the SPL dept., plus great SQ. Expect 135+ db out of that one sub at really low freqs. Not too many 12" subs can hit 135db in the 20 hz and below region, it's hard to hit that kind of SPL in that region because it takes more excursion to hit it, most subs hit the 135 region in a higher freq. You'll be amazed at the low bass output. The thermal rating of the Shiva is 650W RMS, but that's just what the voice coil can handle thermally, it really only needs about 300W RMS to reach full excursion, any more power than that won't net a lot more SPL and will generate excess heat and wear out the suspension.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 206
ok cool now with the box can i get a range that these work well in? I know you said 1.5 and im guessing that is for after installation. How would this do in a smaller box?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 751
Oh, and to answer your question about subsonic freqs, yes, they will rumble and rattle you around, you can't hear them, you can only feel them (which is cool, haha). They perform well at higher freqs, too, and the frequency response is pretty flat. They will still hit hard with 40 hz and up, they just have better low freq. response than a lot of subs, especially for the price range.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 752
I would do no lower than 1.5 cu ft. sealed. They don't list a range, but I'd do sealed between 1.5 and 2.0 cu ft. These will give the low freq. extension you're looking for. It won't perform as well in a small box, but I don't think you'll have a problem fitting a 1.5 cu ft. box in a car. If you want great small box performance, I'd look into saving up and getting a Brahma, a Brahma 12" will do very well from .75-1.0 cu ft, and has even better SQ than the Shiva.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 811
jon's right

but i'd also check out e12a.22 they were like $295 new i think but go to www.caraudioforum.com and register and you can find some AWESOME deals on used equipment

i would offer to sell you my two e10k e cone model but one got busted up kinda bad...the other works great still

e12a is what i would reccomend or two e10k's

check out the new 11kv.2 10" subs from www.edesignaudio.com

i have a pair on order and i cant wait for them :-)

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 207
wow yeah that might be the step up after ive had a shiva for a bit lol

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 208
how are ED amps? i might grab one of those packages

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 813
ed amps are great

they made tsunami and tru amps

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 209
ok what would be a good amp for the shiva?

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 210
looking for a good amp for the shiva

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 308
Here is what I would do.

2 xtant Z104-90.00 shipped for both subs
Xtant A3001T-130-150.00 shipped.
Ported box tuned to about 32-35 hz.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 309
Or instead of the xtant you could do two dayton quatro 10s which can be had at http://www.partsexpress.com and would be about 140.00 shipped for two of these. These are a very good sub and will give you both sq and spl what you are looking for trust me on this one. Ive heard rave reviews on the dayton quatro subs and thats what im gonna be getting with the xtant amp I mentioned above. Here is even a box dimensions for you also.

Internal Dimensions
30.0-wide
12.0-tall
14.0-deep
--------------

(30X12X14)/1728

2.92-cu ft

Sub displacement
.075-1 .15-2

----------
2.77-cu ft

Port

12.0-Tall
2.0-wide
21.0-Long

(12X2.75X21)/1728

.40 port displacement

-----------
2.37-cu ft/2

1.19 cu ft per sub tuned at around 32 hz.

Thats what I would do. Total cost around 300.00 no more then 350.00 for a good sq and spl based system.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 214
im gonna stick with the shiva can anyone recommend an amp?

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 216
ok i made a short list of amps from the Highly Recommended list by Glass
These are the semi affordable ones

xtant6.1
harrison labs 400Watt
Zapco 500.1 (not sure on price cant find a dealer nearby)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us