Amp problem?

Username: Jearpin

Post Number: 1
Been having a very confusing problem with my set up. I have a 1000W sony explod amp connected to two sony explod subs. Everything will be working fine until I turn the volume up on my head unit. If I turn it up too high the amp stops working for a few days. Then it turns back on. Ive checked all fuses related to it, and have no idea what to do. It is an older system so that my be the problem. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 990
Hey jearpin, most likely what is happening is your Amplifier is becoming too hot, and is going into Protection Mode to prevent itself from recieving any damage or it may simply be at the end of it's Life Span.

A few things you can try would be to make sure all of your power and negative cables are tight and secure. While your at it, check and make sure that the wiring on the Subwoofers themself have not become loose or disconnected. Also, make sure that the fuses in the amplfier AND under the hood (Inline Fuse) are still in tack and/or melting away.

As a bonus, when you notice this happen, try to look and see if you smell anything burning, see smoke, and/or hear any odd noises that you wouldn't typically hear.

If all else fails, go ahead and turn down the setting on the Amplfier (example: the Gain) to prevent itself from working too hard. If the problem still persists, I would suggest looking into a new Ampifier.

Post Number: 2
I'm afraid its most likely the heat problem, or shes about to die. Ive checked all the wiring a few times (been happening for a while). On the bright side it seems a new system is now in my future

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 994
Haha, glad to see your looking at the bright side of your situation. If you do find yourself investing into a new system, be sure to post on here what your looking for (amp, subs or both) and your budget you can spend. There are a lot of members here that can give you good suggestions.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the suggestion. As you can see I am very new to the site. We'll see how work goes the next week or so.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1001
Sounds good. Keep in mind that if you do post for suggestions on eCoustics, most of the time people here are going to list products you cannot find in local stores and will have to be purchased online at their main website or an online dealer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us