How do Ohms work!?

Username: Imscott

Midlothian, Virginia United States

Post Number: 1
Alright I'm having quite the time figuring all this out.

If I have a 200watt rms subwoofer DVC@ 4ohms with a amp that is capable of 100 watts rms@ 4 ohms and 200 watts rms@ 2 ohm i would want to run it at 2ohms and wire the sub in a series right...?

Well this is what I'm wondering. I want to get four 10" subs pushing 300 watt rms@4ohm each. I want to get a subwoofer that pushes 1500 watts@4ohms or 2000 watts@ 2 ohms...

Now my question is I would only need 1200watts so I wouldn't be turning my amp all the way up on either 2 ohms or 4 ohms. But lower ohms means more power to the subs... would this be true if I had the same watts going to the sub whether it was at 4 ohms or 2 ohms though?

Basically will 1200watts@4ohms = 1200watts@2ohms in power?? I already know 4 ohms will be cleaner. I just want to know will the power be the same since the watts going to the sub would hypothetically be the same

Bronze Member
Username: Stevokentucky

Frankfort, Ky Us

Post Number: 16
I think perhaps a piece of information may have been left out. Lower impedance does typically mean more wattage but not in the margins that you are describing. Perhaps you have misread the info on the amp. did it say "1200W @4ohm or 2400W @2ohm"
or did it say "1200W/ch @4ohm or 2400W @2ohm mono bridged"

Could you get us a make/model of the amp in question

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 984
Hello Scott, to answer your first question in regards of the DVC 4Ohm Subwoofer with 200 Watts RMS, you will want to wire the Subwoofer in Parallel to the Amplifier, which will create a 2 Ohm Load.

In regards of your second question regarding the four 10" SVC 4Ohm Subwoofers with 300 Watts RMS, you are going to be looking to accomplish one of two options:

A: Wire the Subwoofers in Parallel to create a 1Ohm Load at 1200 Watts.
B: Wire the Subwoofers in Series to create a 4Ohm Load at 1200 Watts.

So with that said, you will be looking to purchase an amplifier that can either perform at 1200 Watts RMS at 1Ohm or 1200 Watts RMS at 4Ohms. A great example of an amplifier like this would be the Audioque AQ1200D. This amplifier would be able to accomplish the 1200 Watts RMS at a 1Ohm Load.

http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html

As far as your third question goes with regarding what is different between each Ohms. The lower the Ohm, the output will be greater, but the signal coming from the Amplifier may be unstable and not as "clean". The higher the Ohm, the output will be less powerful, but the signal coming from the Amplifier will be much more stable, accurate and "clean".

If you still need assistance with calculating Ohms, you the link below for help:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=&I=

Username: Imscott

Midlothian, Virginia United States

Post Number: 4
will I be fine running 4 of these

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWS1043/Alpine-SWS-1043D.html

with one of these

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRP2000/Alpine-MRP-M2000.html

at 4ohms. The peak on the subs is 900watt so I think I have room to play with.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 985
Scott, never look at Peak Wattage when looking into Subwoofers or Amplifiers. It's RMS that you want to look for.

Also, if you were to run 4 of that specific subwoofer, you would not be able to wire them up into a 4Ohm Load. You could either create:

A: 0.5Ohm Load in Parallel
B: 2Ohm Load in Series/Parallel
C: 8Ohm Load in Series

With that said, you could theoretically use these together in a 2OHm Load, but I would fear that would be too much extra power going to these subwoofers.

However, if you were to purchase the 2Ohm DVC versions of this Subwoofer, you could create a 4Ohm Load if wired in Parallel/Series.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWS1023/Alpine-SWS-1023D.html

Bronze Member
Username: Stevokentucky

Frankfort, Ky Us

Post Number: 17
Uhmmm... Joe S, to clarify on your circuit building earlier, 4 count speakers @4 ohms each wired in series does not give you 4 ohms, it gives you 32 ohms. To get 4 ohms you will have to construct a series/parrallel circuit. also, creating an 8 ohm circuit and loading it up to an amplifier that is constructed for 4 ohms is acceptable and will help protect the amplifier as it is impeded from using its maximum wattage.
But Scott, I strongly agree with Joe concerning RMS ratings.Pyramid was the company to first introduce a "continuous" wattage rating and its the standard you want to use. Companies are notorious for viciously over-rating their peak wattage, but it is much harder to fudge an RMS, or "continuous", rating.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1004
Ah, good catch stevo, I forgot to add the "/Parallel" after series.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us