I hate the law!

Bronze Member
Username: 03exploder

Chattanooga, Tennessee U S of A

Post Number: 27
So i live in Chattanooga TN and in the newspaper today they ran an article on the level of noise around town, and of course car audio systems came up, they are now giveing out fines for every system that can be heard over 50 feet. i dont know if i should even worry about it. Do you think cops are actually gonna spend all that time pulling eveyone over, my city is quite large and there are lots of people with systems. It still just gets on my nerves, work my @ss off to afford a decent system , now im gonna get fined every time i crank it up. its horrible.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 301
Yea they will fine you for it. The cops get sick of people repeorting loud stereo's all the time so yes they will pull you over. Don't complain about this because this a minor compared to other laws. In a city close to me the second time they pull you over for your system they take it. My uncle is a cop over there and last spring he had to tell a kid he just lost his $11,200 system.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 800
hehe one word - dynamat :-)

do it on every damn thing in the car and even outside :-) maybe dynamat will sponsor you lol

Username: Suicideshifter

Bristolville, Ohio United States

Post Number: 7
50 feet heh, it's 20 feet near me. the cops are priks too...
^
they wouldnt let
me use this word.
:-(

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 742
I can understand not blasting in residential areas and such, it can get quite aggravating as I know b/c I used to work on night shift. On highways and cluttered urban area I don't think it's as big a deal. Dynamat helps a LOT and if properly installed you should definately be able to listen loud enough to be happy without pissing everybody off. If you can hear that far outside your car at 50 feet (unless your windows are down) you're losing a lot of energy from inside your car. I mean I'd rather have that much more power to listen to in my vehicle, not the one next to me, you lose SPL in the vehicle by not sealing it up.

Unregistered guest
I live in Chattanooga, Tn myself and the reason that law got passed was because of idiots driving around in the a.m. with the system cranked. It sucks that we all have to suffer cause the idiots that do that.

Bronze Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 91
well i live in bc canada and the cops only tell u to turn it down they dont give u fines.

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 26
50 feet.....20 feet.... what about NO NOISE can be heard outside of the confines of the vehicle or you WILL get a ticket. it goes from 250 to 500 to 1000 and so on.

and the guy with the uncle who is a police officer...... he should have his hands and feet cut off like they do in Saudi Arabia.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3937
The funny thing is when you can't have the stereo heard over 50 feet away, but there's no law about running a car with a 500ci engine and open headers.

yeah you can knock over senior citizens from the shockwave of revving up the motor, but don't let anyone hear the radio!
(note I can hear ANY factory radio at normal volume from 50ft when the person has their windows down.)

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 123
i know i can hear my friends truck stock radio from about 100 ft and its a piece of crap. your ganna have to drive around ur town with ur windows up and dynamat on the WHOLE car ... even the windows

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I was thinking the same thing Glass

Bronze Member
Username: Compton2201

Pleasanton, Ca Usa

Post Number: 19
cops will do it, they got nothin better to do, i got one cuz i was playin it to loud in a drive through

Username: Suicideshifter

Bristolville, Ohio United States

Post Number: 9
i was at the fair a week ago and i had my system up and a state trooper came over and i turned it down real fast and i thought i was going to get a ticket. he was asking me why i would put so much money into a radio system and that he gave the same speech to his son. he told me that when i leave the fair i better have it turned down. cops like that are cool, but the majority suck. lol

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 407
Yeah, i agree glass. Theres a dumb a*s that lives down the street from my house, and he has a viper. A some days he come down the road a 10:00pm and it shakes the whole house, and the funny thing is, is that people around us are complaining about gas scooters, but the kids only ride from 9:00am to 7:00 at night.

Silver Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 186
older people will find anything they can to complain about the younger generation. they dont care about the viper because it's considered a high end sports car that only an ADULT would drive. if car audio stereo's where popular with middle aged people i bet they wouldnt be complaining as much. i think people get mad because kids in this day of age have a lot more cool stuff then back in the 60's and 70's. they are all just hatin on our lifestyle.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3947
It's really just a matter of respecting other people.
I really don't want to hear someone's loud stereo at a stop light when it drowns out the radio in the car I'm in, which happens when it's not *my* car.
it's just irritating.
On an amusing note, I had a cop approach my IASCA car at the beach drive once when I was parked.
I was expecting the turn it down speach.
Turns out he wanted to sit in the car and play with the stereo. hahaha
I got on pretty good terms with the guy. He was a local county cop, so it was nice not having to worry about being picked on by the guy.
Turned out he knew the girl I was seeing then, too. lol

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 130
hey wolf..you live in Michigan as i see from your profile. are there any competitions...SPL Drags, SQ, Install?? anything. i really really want to go to one of those just to see everything. im really getting into the car audio scene its just i dont have the money to actually get CLOSE to competing... just want to see what they got. I live around Saginaw and Flint.

LoudPipesSuck
Unregistered guest
I agree with Glass about the loud exhaust thing. Were I live they have a car show every wednsday which includes a db drag event from a local shop. Before they run the cars through they have a loudest pipes contest for the motorcyles. Some of the bikes are over 137db!!!!!! Thats frickin loud for an unconfined space. We also have a car stereo law here, but the frikin bike can ride around all nite long with their loud a*ss pipes. It just doesnt seem right. I mean at least a car stereo has a legitimate purpose. Loud pipes serve no other purpose than to be loud.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 754
My hometown implemented a law a couple of years ago about loud exhaust. It was basically the same rules as a drag strip, I believe it's 95db at a certain distance, I can't remember how far, a couple of meters I think, somewhere in that region. It's not like they have a meter just sitting in their car, so there really wasn't an accurate way to enforce it. They just pulled people over and checked contingency tags of the mufflers they were running. My cousin has been pulled over numerous times in his Torino, but he was right on the borderline anyway, and some idiot welded the mufflers in upside down so the contingency tag didn't show. His motor makes 500+ hp, though, with a huge cam, so it's naturally louder than most cars on the road. 3" headers and 3" pipe running on 40 series Flowmasters.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3970
hahaha sounds like my Charger. Hey just think with collector inserts, you'd look like straight pipes. Cops would LOVE that. hahaha

John, I live over on lake MI, so to go to events it usually involves a good drive out to the east side of the state. best way to find sanctioned events is to check listings on the sites for USACi, IASCA, dBdragracing, etc.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 758
Yeah. My collector inserts weren't visible at all. Good thing I wasn't pulled over, there would have been a fuss about that since I didn't have a contingency tag on them. I guess they'd have to put a meter on it. Mine were the street 3 disc inserts, though, so no problems. The 2 disc collectors have held 500+ cubic inch cars below the 95 db region, so 3 discs on a car with less power weren't too bad of an issue. A lot of the reason that my cousins was so loud was because he turned the pipes down in front of the axle, and the car had a lot of compression (somewhere around 12:1), the sound was VERY deep. He could set car alarms off revving up with that thing. The sound carried for quite a bit, too, the cops didn't like him too much. He's consistently hit 11's in the car, though, after the torque converter was changed to a higher stall and the gears were changed to 3.91. Not too shabby for a heavy Torino, but I ran him one night and absolutely killed him in the Mustang, it could hit 10's. Not exactly apples to apples, though. I considered building another one in the future without all the audio components and gutting the interior and maybe getting fiberglass to replace the body panels, I wish I could find the guy that bought mine, 427 engines aren't that easy to find. I'd like to build a car that can hit 9's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
i saw a i think it was 2001 camaro and the guy that owned cut the pipes just to make it sound loud. and it is loud but it sounds like crap. we all had a little laugh off him so it worked out fine.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3977
I remember back when I was about 19, a friend of mine came over to my house in his firebird (1984ish I think, F body) which had a V6.
He revs up the car and the thing absolutely roars.
he says, hey check it out, I dropped a V8 in this beast!
I said really?
he replied no, actually the muffler fell off on the way over.. but it sounded funny at the time.

hahahaha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us