Amp won't stop going into protection mode

Bronze Member
Username: Twiztid_blunt

Post Number: 29
So my amp keeps cutting off the power to my subs. It mainly occurs when I try to get my subs louder. It didn't do this as often a month ago. I think it was after a day of delivering pizza with it bumpin all day, amp got hot and my fuses blew, I believe ever since then it's been acting like a wimp. I'm wondering a few things

I have stock electrical system, would the amp protect itself because its supply is inadequate?

my subs run 300rms my amp runs 900rms, did I ruin my subs which is causing my amp to protect itself? (that would be awesome, been tryin to swap them out but gotta hurt em first)

whatever it is, it keeps randomly protecting itself and when I turn my HU off and back on it gives subs power again (till I push it again)

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 949
From what you described, I would recommened checking your positive and negative cables and make sure nothing has come loose.

If everything looks good, then I would suggest either upgrading your fuses on the amplifier by 5-10 amps, or simply turn down your gain settings on your amplifer and/or stop playing your music so loudly.

Username: Lgndryplya

Post Number: 3
I say get a volt meter and check voltages, they may be getting to low.

Username: Lgndryplya

Post Number: 4
I say get a volt meter and check voltages, they may be getting too low.

Username: Stevokentucky

Frankfort, Ky Us

Post Number: 6
hmm... if its a new problem that didnt occur before then I would ex-out power delivery problems from the car's battery and charging system. If you blew a fuse then the integrity of power supply section and/or main power output section of the amp may have been compromised. You can bi-pass the protection circuit but I dont recommend it.

Username: Stevokentucky

Frankfort, Ky Us

Post Number: 7
btw, unlikely that your speakers are blown. The typical sign of the speakers being blown is that it cuts in and out or drops in sound dramatically and then quits all together. Thats what happens when the voice coil melts down. You can check the speakers by using your multimeter to measure the impedance of the speakers. If you get no impedance (open circuit) or if you get a super low impedance (like 1 ohm or less...) then the voice coil of the speaker has been damaged or "blown".

Bronze Member
Username: Twiztid_blunt

Post Number: 30
thanks for the info, I got a dmm and tuned it right but before I did that I remembered I turned on the infrasonic filter switch, once turned off my amps been great, gone into protection mode once. after dmm tuning it, it's worked perfect thanks guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us