DVC or SVC

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 11
I am about to order two cerwin vega VMAXs and I was wondering if I need to get a DVC or SVC, or if it matters. I am going to run them off of a kicker kx550.2 amp. Please advise, thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 101
i think you would need a DVC and wire each one in parrallel to each channel so each channel sees 2 ohms. you would get more power this way.

not sure if this is 100% correct as i am not sure if the amp sees a 2ohm load or a 1 ohm load since it is a 2 channel. im sure if this isnt correct someone else can help or go to http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-qXNTJGsFxKv/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html
and look through that

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 164
since its based off channels each channel will see a 2 ohm load so you would need 4ohm dvc

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 296
Its a 2 channel amp. IT will see a 2ohm load so you can get the SVC version. Which is 4ohms. This will save you from having to wire up 2 coils. No one here EVER things about that. You don't need the DVC.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 166
ok jayj explain this some if its a 2 channel amp so there for it will see a 2 ohm load on each channel how can he wire a 4 ohm sub to it? that doesnt make any sense. to me he should need the dvc in order to parellel the coils down to 2 ohms. did i miss something?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I don't know much about wiring, so are you saying that I will have to run the two channels at 4 ohms with a SVC? That would only give me about 150 watts per channel. If I run the amp at 2 ohms it gives 275, so I need to run it at 2 ohms.

Also, do the number of voice coils affect the performance of a speaker or is it strictly related to wiring?

Thanks for the help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I don't know much about wiring, so are you saying that I will have to run the two channels at 4 ohms with a SVC? That would only give me about 150 watts per channel. If I run the amp at 2 ohms it gives 275, so I need to run it at 2 ohms.

Also, do the number of voice coils affect the performance of a speaker or is it strictly related to wiring?

Thanks for the help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
doh double post, anyways I have heard that the VMAX has good SPL but what about the SQ? I was going to go with ID 12s but I have read that they don't have much when it comes to SPL. I might be asking for too much, but I need good SQ and SPL!

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 167
its all wiring

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 297
John V-maxxes have great SPL and SQ. I know I have 2 of them. Since you don't know much about wiring I will tell you what you need to do. All you do is wire each sub to its own channel on the amp. Since they are SVC 4ohm subs and being hooked one sub to each channel the amp will see a 2ohm load. If you get the DVC 4ohms and wire them for 2ohms and hook one to each channel since it is a 2 channel amp it will see a 1ohm load and you DO NOT want that.

Grmncrsnbr I just explained it to John. Glass will tell you the same thing too. A 2 channel amp with 1 SVC 4ohm sub on each of the 2 channels it will see a 2ohm load. If you get 2 DVC 4ohm subs and wire them down to 2ohms and hook one to each channel then the 2 channel amp will see a 1ohm load which you don't really want because you will not have any head room IF the amp is even stable @ 1ohm. Hope this clears it up for you.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 708
If a 2 channel amp says it's stable down to 2 ohms (like 50W x 2@ 2 ohms), it means each channel is stable to 2 ohms. The reason being that on 2 channel amps, each channel has seperate transistors, so with one 4 ohm sub hooked to that channel, the transistors of that channel will see a 4 ohm load. So when they say they're stable to 2 ohms, it means each channel is capable of handling a 2 ohm load. With that amp, he needs two DVC 4 ohm subs. When a 2 channel amp is bridged to 4 ohms, it sees a 2 ohm load because the load is shared over both channels.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 169
so when i get a two channel amp and want to hook speakers up to it say i have a pair of 4 ohm speakers each hooked to a channel the amp will see them as a 2 ohm load so when looking for an amp i should buy it based on the 2 ohm load wattage?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 710
No, when you hook each 4 ohm to a channel of the amp, the individual transistors of the channel see a 4 ohm load. Basically, each channel sees 4 ohms. When you have an amp BRIDGED and a 4 ohm speaker hooked to it, then the amp sees a 2 ohm load. Buy based on the 4 ohm wattage if you're putting 4 ohm speakers on the channels.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
So bottom line, I have to get DVC. Thanks for the help Johnathan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us