Now this is what im talking about

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16493
I cant wait to use my image dynamics idmax 12 in a 1.5 sealed box on a dayton 1000 watt rack amp that i have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYh5N0XYaHA&feature=related

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24296
Well that guy's room with the box is pretty extreme. 2 18" SSDs?????

If he had to go with FI then why not the Q? Unless he already had the subs I can't see using these in this application.

Not to mention his parents must either be very cool or away for the weekend lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16494
I saw his earlier videos he had one ssd 18 to start then later upgraded to two.......why dont you put your video up too paul....and see if we can get some guys to go home audio with big subs.....no need for ho alts in the house

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24298
The proper way to approach this is to realize car audio subs were never meant to be used in home audio applications. In my experience they can be VERY effective in delivering the bass response but lack the efficiency/performance true home audio guys expect in their razor sharp precise world. Well after all you're just moving air right?

Wrong, in a sense. Even after my various HT sub projects using car audio subs I have concluded that while a very effective result can be achieved it shouldn't be assumed as an equal replacement for a driver designed for such purposes. It works. It saves you money and gives you bragging rights and that's worth fireworks, just remember that their are engineers and designers working hard to develop the product perfect for its' application.

That aside, hell yes you can use a quality car audio sub in a HT app. It works, and quite well. My project here cost me about $1000 to fabricate and build. Is it the cheapest HT sub? Hell no. Is it the most efficient? Hell no.

Is it worth bragging rights?

Hell yes.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24299
Anyone wants to see the build thread follow this.......

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/340368.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16497
I went with a high quality driver that can take 1000 watts rms and i have the rack mount version of pauls amp 950 rms total cost 330 new for the image dynamics idmax 12 and about 400 for the amp so 730 without being built yet

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16498
thanks for posting paul

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24300
You will love your results. Just like me.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3355
i've seen a lot of people showing up with idmax's lately.. that's not a bad price Sean. where did you find it for that?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16501
on ebay like 6 months ago or more

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 327
some car subs can be used with ht an work very nicely, aa avalcnhe is a prime example. also it depends what your goals are. if you trying to make a "true" ht sub its not meant to get crazy loud on the 35hz+ range its meant to get low with authority be able to shake your body on those sub 20hz notes for movies. i used to have my atlas 15 hooked up for ht worked ok sounded nice to me but im not a true audiophile so its imperfections for ht where fine with me. then i also had the sig hooked up off a 1800 audioburn amp in the house and that bish got crazy loud on music but sucked for movies cuz it wasn't designed to get crazy low and the box wasn't designed for it. but you could easily hear it blocks away playing music. all depends on the equipement and what your expectations for the project are.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 346
Is it that car subs are better with the lowlows and HT subs are good with the lows associated with real world noise? The Kinda noise in explosions and engine revs and that kinda thing? More of a full-range? But not really? Cuz car subs really only need to play lowlows?

Also, is it accurate to say that HT subs have higher excursion and efficient motors, while car subs have less excursion and stiffer suspensions with stronger motors??

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 331
ht subs are genrally very efficient don't see to many ht setups pushing 2k to a single sub but useally have a decent amount of excursion but nothing ridicoulous. car subs use a stiff spider so they can mechnically handle the 2000+ watts ppl throw at them. an yes ht subs are meant to get low low play below 20hz and useally down to the single digit hz range with authority while car subs mainly play music where the lowest it gets is 30hz range. its all about setup and box design you could get a car sub to play super low if you designed a good box and vice versa for a ht sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us