Voltage meter noob question?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3215
Ok so I bought one of these bad boys during their "Black Friday" sale

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/blue-digital-volt-gauge.aspx

I think I only paid like $33 or somethin like that. Its a very nice looking gauge for the money. I know I could have bought one of those Stinger ones but everybody has one of those plus I wanted a round one so I could mount it in the a-pillar in my truck. And this one is like a 3rd of what an Autometer gauge costs.

So my question is how do I hook it up lol? I know pos. and neg. but do I run it to the battery or do I run it to my amps + and -? Or does it even matter? I would think I just hook it straight up to the battery but not sure. Im about to order the a-pillar pod for it so I need to know how to wire it.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3216
BTW if anyone needs ANY type of gauge like a tach,volt meter,boost gauge,ect,ect,ect....get them from Glow Shift. They have the best prices and they look amazing. Also shipping is free over $25 plus they make just about every kind of pods for the gauges.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/

They also have an outlet store on ebay sometimes they have even better deals there.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16879
does it have 3 wires - red \ black \ blue ...

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3276
Twiztid that looks sick. Might get one of those. I would hook it up to the batt.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1453
I think I'm going to join the crowd and order a Stinger I just like the way they look. I'm going to be running a second battery in the trunk and plan to hook it up to that one, since the voltage in the rear will be the crucial area.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3218
Rovin,yes it has three wires
red-12v
black-ground
orange-otional its if you want the gauge to dim when you switch your headlights on

lowlife-They have very nice gauges,you cant go wrong with them. BTW here are some coupon codes to save 10%

save10nov
save10dec
winter11

So hook it straight up to the battery? Thats what I thought. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1805
I would usually hook them up as close to the amps as possibly. The problem i see with this gauge is that it is similar to a gauge a street racer type guy would use. In that case it would not be necessary to get it close to the amps which is why there is not a remote wire for it. I believe people would usually connect those to key on power because if you go straight to the battery it will stay on 24/7. To deal with that you could always use a switch. Maybe i have it all wrong but thats what im getting out of the wire colors unless the orange is something different other then illumination.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3220
Ok so the instructions it came with say this

black-ground
red-12v ignition switch
orange-optional headlamp 12v

I understand it now that Ive actually read the instructions lol. The red wire has to be hooked up to a switched sorce just like how your head unit has a constant 12v and a switched 12v. I might just wire the gauge up to my HU wiring harness,that would make it a lot easier instead of trying to find another switched sorce and have to tap in to it. The orange wire is indeed optional,it is just if you want the gauge to dim at night so its not as bright. It says the easiest way to hook up the orange wire is to tap in to the positive side of your parking lights. I dont see the need for the orange wire so Im not going to hook it up.

It says I need a 3amp fuse so I can either buy an inline fuse and hook it up thru my HU wiring harness or I can get this

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/expandable-circuit-and-4-amp-fuse.aspx

and find an existing 12v switched sorce in my fuse panel.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1869
put 12+ wire to a 1$ switch turn on and off as needed.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3221
Na I would rather it turn on as I start my truck and go off when I turn the truck off,so I can keep an eye on the voltage the whole time.

I just noticed they make an amp temp gauge

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/blue-digital-amp-temperature-gauge.aspx

Im guessing thats for car audio amps. Pretty cool I guess if you really need to know your amps temp.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1870
true, i vote HU 12+ switched.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 670
I just wanted to comment so I could save this thread. Thanks for starting it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us