Second Sub opinions...

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 289
I have been running an ia 21" warden. I bought a second rf t30001bd for the second warden I bought. I am in the middle of building the box in my spair time for the two. anyways, I bought a ss xxx 18 to fill the gap until I was done with the warden's box. The xxx is way better than I expected. I'm actually thinking of going to 2 ss's and selling the wardens. Anybody have an opinion? I can't decide.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1446
If the SS subs sound better to you and you think you'll be happier with them, I'd say go with those instead.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1864
x2

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16486
x3

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3118
x4

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3217
x5

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16878
i have heard those 18s ssxxx play b4 & they do sound good but i wud like to believe the built quality of IA wud be better than ss.....

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1803
Perhaps it sounds so much better because its in a very suited box? I have heard solid thing about the wardens.

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 290
The wardens are great. I am going to finish the warden box and see what she sounds like. keep it for awhile, then maybe go to the 2 xxx 18's. Build quality on both subs is very good. Don't think I can go wrong either way.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2677
I'm using tsns 18s, which are very close cousins to the ss xxx's.
The wardens I had were well built, but everyone who has used the xxx or tsns says it is better.

The new xxx has rms ratings around 5-7,000- a point where I found the warden thermally wasn't happy for long periods of time. 15 minutes of c&s music was fine, much longer and they needed a break.
I'm going to do pretty extensive testing on the tsns, which has a very similar design to the xxx. The ones I'm getting have the ground pounder option with softer suspension than the xxx though.

Post up your comparison when you get a chance, either setup would be pretty nice imo.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 555
How are the tsns troy? Im very interested in running 2 and I'm trying to convince my buddy to get some as well
If I get them I'll probably wall my car off and have a good 12 cu ft or more for the subs and tune around 35 hz and have around 7k of power for my daily driver
Those tsn are on the top of my list but my friend has been saying there's mixed reviews on them. But I wouldn't know why they seem to be built well and ed will build them like I want

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 349
Sorry to jump in like this, but...

I am thinking of a new system for when I blow this last sub. I want one sub in a hube ported box. I could care less about burping or trophies, but I do love to show off and get really loud. I want the biggest, baddest, sub on the market that is best to really pound the lows. I looked at dc lvl 5, but figured it was mainly for spl burps, and I am really liking the Warden 21"...

Would a properly installed Warden be as good or better than say, 2 12" tsns or SS xxx 12s? Or how would an 18" tsns or ss xxx stack up against the Warden21?

Again, I just want truck wiggling lows pounding around 15-30 Hz

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 556
A dc lv 5 is fine for daily. But 15 hz is very low I don't think you will find alot of tracks that go that low. Tsn aren't really meant to play that low or any other spl type sub. You would want a sound quality sub fi q get low as well as sound splinter and tc sounds and other sq type subs all the subs you listed are meant to perform best at higher frequencies that you said you wanted. But still even at that with any of the subs you listed they will still do good in a large box tuned low its just a sound quality sub will play the lows easier and sound much better...

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3123
ss xxx motor *cough* 4hp

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 350
sq subs will play the lowest frequencies easier... but they don't have the RMS rating that the others do. How about if I threw like, 1500-2000 Wrms on a warden or tsns in a 10 cube box tuned to 28? Surely it would shake with the lows...

But could it outperform the FI? and would it come down to SQ suffering if I tried it?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 351
And Donnie, thanks for the input, but I have no real idea what you mean. What does 4hp mean? and are you recommending just the motor with upgraded suspension and/or basket and/or coil? Or the whole ss xxx 18 featuring a 4hp motor?

Also, is everyone else having to preview their messages? I tried turning it off in the profile settings, but to no avail. Admin, if you read this, plz help me out. Preview is SOOO annoying.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3124
The owner claims it was not designed to be like the 4hp motor, but i mean c'mon lol look at the dang thing. Not knocking the sub in anyway, i'm almost complimenting it being so similar to the 4hp design. I'd rock a ss triple x

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 352
What is a 4hp? obviously it's a kickass motor, who makes it and what are its applications?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3125
TC sounds makes it. 4" coil. very versitile for 2,000w+ applications. one of the strongest motors on the market (maybe even the strongest?) very strong low end. lots of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQ5sU40mLA&feature=related

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2680
The 4HP is basically a really nice motor with 4" coil. Very desirable used motor that normally sells quick and for a good bit.

The 21s got low and loud, but I like 18's better. I was debating on re coning to 18s and just doing 4 18" wardens, but I wanted to try something new. The 4HP, XXX, and TSNS motors have claims from several that they have greater motor strength than the Warden- though don't quote me on it. In my situation I'll benefit regardless due to greater daily power handling and much more cone area with 6 15s or 4 18s. I know 5 cubic feet isn't a small area, but when comparing 15ft to 20ft there really isn't that much difference in the room left in my Tahoe.

Most SPL oriented subs have a ridiculously stiff suspension to help mechanically handle more power. Once subs break in they tend to play lows better because they've loosened up, but after the 6+ months I used the Wardens they were still difficult to push in at all. Not saying they didn't do good on music, but the TSNS with GP option and LMS Ultra both have a softer suspension that mechanically lowers power handling, but potentially makes them better for daily use.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1269
makinblack, sounds to me like you need two soundsplinter Rl-s15's in a sealed 10 cu. ft. box.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 330
wow ok there are a lot of motors that "look" like a 4hp just cause they use the same size slugs andhave around the same magnet weight DO NOT mean they are the same motor. the gap and cooling are very different on all those subs not to mention each sub has a different spider and VC setup.

donnie the 4hp is strong but no where near the strongest the shocker neo sig owns it in bl rateings by far and im sure other subs out there are better also dd 99z.

the new tsns motor is fvckinn huge also dd is makeing a new z motor with a 6in vc but thats most likely for burps only. for daily ground pounder to kill the lows a very strong motor helps a lot but you have to have the right spider setup cant use super stiff ones or very soft ones gotta be in the middle to have control over the cone yet let it have a broad bl curve.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us