Noob question

Silver Member
Username: Rds2oo8

MN

Post Number: 328
im thinking about getting 2 12" re SE's i have a hifonics bx1000d mono block amp i got for free. my question is would it be better to get a 2nd battery or get a high output alt? i drive a 2002 buick lesabre.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1844
alt

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 329
alright thanks for the websites, i do have a system right now but its nothing like some of the peoples on here. its just 2 12" infinty references with a infinity amp. you gotta start somewhere, what size wire should i use for the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2672
For 1000 watts I would just do the big 3, and install a good battery up front. Unless your alt is failing you shouldn't need to upgrade unless you added more power.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1845
1/0 to the back then you can eather split off in to 4ga if you have 2 lower powered amps or if the amp takes 1/0 then theres distro blocks that have both 1/0 and 4ga outputs and 1/0ga in.

also do your big 3 in OFC 1/0ga if the alt u get does more then 250 amps you will need OFC 1/0 ga if its less then 250 amps you can swing CCA 1/0 wire as long as it supports that amount of current.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 330
ight well i just replaced my car battery last year so im hoping thatll hold up ha

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1846
x2 on troy as well.

my old jeeps alt could not hold voltage to save its life. but if you are staying above 12.8-13v just get a nice battery for anything under ~1200 watts.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1847
get a DMM (digital multi meter / volt meter) and hook it to your battery and bump the hardest hitting song you have and see how low your voltage sags.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8440
Troy nailed it.

Just install the amp w/ quality 4ga cable and upgrade your big-3.
As long as your alt is in good shape and you have a good batt up front, you should be fine.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1848
true i have a tendency to want to over build things.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 331
how much would the big 3 upgrade cost like a rough estimate?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1850
would depend on the wire you use and how long the runs are. take some string and measure from alt + to battery + in safe run (away from heat and fans, use zip ties.) battery - to chassy - and motor ground to chassy. you order wire by the foot or in spools.

as far as choices go for wire to use, knukonceptz is my personal fav, theres also shok, kicker hyper flex, some people like stinger. theres more then that thats just what i can think of right now.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1435
The big 3 doesn't cost much, you're just replacing the factory wiring with larger gauge. If you got a spool of 1/0 gauge you would have plenty to do the upgrade and for running power to the rear and for a good ground for your amps. You would need ring terminals for the wire as well. Vertexaudio.com sells shok industries, they're a good choice for wire.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1851
i would just add on top of factory wire.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 332
alright ill look into those brands deathoob and skd how do u think my system will sound? what size box should i get, and should i go ported or sealed?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1852
should sound good until you sit in a 150+ car and get the SPL bug. if you are happy with some decent bump you should be rather happy.

i would go ported if you have the room, if you want to build the box your self eather use the RE box calc or talk to bassman3 for a design. if you what it built for you he also does that. don't use prefab.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16876
well every1 already gave advice on current

but i wouldnt advise 2 12s se on that amp since they will be underpowered

google fi car audio - SSD which is a 800wrms sub , u cud do 1 15 ...

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 333
yeah ive heard of fi been they make some amazing subs from what ive heard on videos which doesnt do justice, nobody around here knows what FI or RE is there all about dual and kicker

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1854
hahahahah dual.

hear is what 1 15" FI Q (there sound quality driver) will do.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 334
would 1 15 sound clean? compared to 2 12s?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 552
1 15 could sound very good but if you port it its all about making it sound the way you want it to. I think with a huge ported box those 12s could get pretty loud for you. Its all about your box
Big.3 is not expensive at all it should take no more than 15 feet of wire and just a llittle time
And run a decent size battery and your fine. You shouldn't need more than a 200 dollar battery to keep your voltage up and not have any problems

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1857
my 1 15" sounds amazing. like it better then any 12" i ever owned.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 335
alright cause in my buick the battery is under the backseat so i dont need much wire to hook stuff up and i have a huge trunk i think ill go with a sealed box for now and if i dont like it i can always go ported

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1061
I like the idea of a 15'' ssd...

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 336
ight thanks for the input guys now i just have to wait for the money to come in lol, are hifonics amps overated like they say they do 1000 watts rms but in reality theyll do 800? is that a true, and im worried say i get a 15" fi ssd im worried ill want louder like a 15" bl cuz thats 1000 watts rms i believe and so is my amp but who knows with hifonics ugh

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1879
my FI Q is 1k rms and i put 1600+rms on it, does fine, the SSD should take ~1100-1200 just fine. just depends on how u set it up.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 337
alright so to build a box what are some websites to use to decide how big the box is and do any of you guys have facebook? if u do add me http://www.facebook.com/LiLRoB08, i also drive a buick so their is plenty of room in the trunk to fit a big box but height wise it has to be 16 1/2" its a 02 buick lesabre

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 339
alright ive decided im gonna go with the 15" fi Q im getting a box built for me i just need to know whats a good size box for it, ill be going ported and i drive a buick so theres plenty of room in the trunk for 1 15

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1079
Deffinatly a nice sub man! The box Bassman built for me is 4cuft @ 35hz. Sounds pretty dam good! Heres an idea of how big the box is...

Upload

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 340
damn that box is huge lol ill get one that big then for sure, just hopin ill have room for groceries lol if not i can always use the backseat no biggy

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1082
Yea it is pretty big,but the good thing is i just use the car to drive to work so i really dont need any space. The trunk in your buick would be much much bigger too.

Also, depending on what kind of music you listen to you might want to tune it a little lower than 35hz. Maybe around 30/32hz.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 341
well i mostly listen to rap and hip hop country here n there but not alot of it

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 342
daul 1 or daul 2?

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1092
If your using that hifonics amp your going to need a dual 2. Wire it parallel to get 1ohm

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16553
a single dual 2 would suit for a 1 ohm stable amp

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11700
Is that an interchangeable port box, nice.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16558
no its just a window
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us