Sealed vs ported

Bronze Member
Username: Chevyboi

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 43
which will be louder four sealed 15's with 1k a piece or two ported with 1300 a piece

p.s. same brand subs

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1568
I would think the 4 15"s sealed would be louder, better sq too. Because you have both twice the cone area and almost twice the power.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1431
I think the 4 15's on 4k rms would give you a little better overall sound, since you would be getting a flat response with lots of cone area and lots of power for potential output. Running them ported gives you roughly a + 3 dB increase in output, so at its tuned frequency, the subs that were getting 2600 rms ported, would sound like they were seeing 5200 rms as far as output is concerned. If you had the two 15's in the right enclosure and they were seeing a clean 1300 rms each, they might out do the 4 sealed 15's just a little. What subs are you looking into and what amps? Also is your electrical able to handle 4k rms? If not, it wouldnt take as much to be able to handle 2600 rms as it would 4k rms, so if power capabilities limit you, you may have to go with the 2600 rms set up.

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 1054
10 sealed boss audio 8's... What you plan on doing?

Ide have to say the 4 15's

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 545
Its really what you want sealed will give you a much tighter sound and give lots of output at higher frequencies but that also depends on the size of the box and the f3. But ported even with less power could get louder with lower frequencies.
But I'm guessing if your asking what is louder you just want the loudest system for your money and it would be going ported. Making an electrical for 4k is not cheap.
Your best bet is making an efficient enclosure to sound good and loud 2500 watts is capable of being extremely loud with a good design

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 44
I'm looking to get the sa-15

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1843
get 2 D4 sa-15's and eather an sax-1200D or the saz-1500D.

unless you have a rather upgraded electrical. what are you working with can we know your battery's and wire used, BIG 3 done? do you have an high output alt? also what car is this all going in to?

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 45
It's going in a 04 impala.no I dontA© have a high output alt buti can get one. I saw people running 1k + to the sa's daily with no problem. If I can get louder with two 15's I would go that route.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1849
i would say if you are running a real amp that puts out what it says for RMS any thing over ~1500 watts you are going to need more power to make that power.

i have been told that ~1500 watts is the upper limit of what the SA line will handle well, besides the SA-8. so lets say you wanted to run 3k total or 1500 to each thats ~300 amps of draw, well granted thats not a constant draw.

you may be happy with 1200-2000 watts and it would keep your build cost down. but i mean its your setup so in the end you will do what you want i can only give advice.

would you mind sharing your budget with us?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1434
What he's saying though is your car has to be able to handle the current draw from the amp(s) you're running. In your car I think you'd be better off with the two 15s ported.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16877
in theory ported is about 2-3dbs louder than sealed which is about almost double the loudness so id pick the 2 ported

also, its more sensible to do 2 subs ported properly with sufficient cuft\port space then trying to squeeze in 4 subs in a undersized box ...

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24282
Yup. Ported is more efficient in bass delivery and sealed is mainly used for SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 337
ported

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 46
I dont want to spend no more than $350 a sub. Can I do three ported sa15's with subs up and port back with a port through the rear deck? i have 11.7 cubes before subs if I build the box in the trunk

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 340
How is port back AND through rear deck?

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1060
What about a couple Z 18''s?

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 47
I wouldn't mind a couple of the z's but I think their out of my price range

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 224
Depends on the frequency.

For daily listening to rap, 4 15's will outshine the 2 ported on the lows, a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us