Build advice

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1825
so now that i made it on team sundown this year i want to play around with some ideas.

4 sa-10's @ ~ 750 a peace or 2 sa-15's or maybe just a whole slue of 8's.

what do u guys think i can cram / wall in the trunk of my Camry and have it loud / not sound like crap.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3275
I wanted to do 4 SA's 8's on my 300m. But it was going to be expensive. If you got the cash I would do 4 SA's 8's. Might be hard to fit 2 15's.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 534
8s won't get very loud 2 15s could work great if you can fit 6 cubes in your trunk if not aero ports would work great. What about the new x series? Those look nice

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1829
what i was plaining on was right where my seats fold down in the back is to hide a small wall behind there. still need to figger out the max size i have to work with.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1830
not sure if the X's are out yet. and i plain on porting the box with aero's through the rear 6x9 holes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
I don't think so either but your on team sundown! Lol haven't really seen anyone do that with aeros so not sure what that would sound like. You draw up any designs yet?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1832
no, i cant draw crap. going to work with dustin and a local guy that does work (AMI customs) as well as a couple buddy's i have in the area.

i also have not seen any one do this witch is why i want to try it.later down the road i will try and see if Jacob will let me test a few.

my top priority right now is getting my HO alt. DC power says ~2 months tell i can get one.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1833
this is the space where i want to wall. (old a.s.s. pic)

Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1834
cwruck hears a pic for u. its the 8" x-8 tho i don't think its assembled yet just parts set in place.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1424
I like the 4 SA 10's idea.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1425
Now you just need to get on team XS and get you some good batteries for the rear and front

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1835
not sure where to apply for that one.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8498
8's??

muahahaha

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1836
nothing wrong with an 8" sub you just need more of them.

also Jacob maybe the x-8 to do ~155 +/- db on 1 8. you gotta admit that if some one owned you with one 8" sub during an SPL comp you might cry a little.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
Nice I like that sub ya man there's people that are just to good at tuning to their vehicle and put up crazy numbers

Gold Member

Post Number: 8499
they might get 155 on a 8 inch on a crx with a crx sub lots of power and extreme sound dampening, also using the best tone for the car resonant frequency..

swap that and use a 12 mmm louder...

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1426
I agree with what you're saying Rob, if they put the time and effort into the 8, a great number can be achieved. But, if they put that same time and effort into a larger sub, they could achieve even more.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16875
how wide is that trunk opening ...

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1053
You would get more cone area with the 2 15''s then the 4 10s. I would try to fit as many 12''s or 15''s as i could in there...

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16468
two 12's or 15's is my vote

Gold Member

Post Number: 8500
takes years and knowledge to make a show off style sound set up..

your a beginner it will be difficult for you to make a 150+ set up using 4 8s or even 145+

if you buy a box custom tuned ( from a guy that really knows spl)_... you rip your car appart and tune it for spl (wich will look so ugly) lots of power and using only a single burp tone you might get near close....

and now mixing Loud with 4 8s and not sound like crap\???

i think your mistaking boy..

in the natural way anything over 150+ with less than 5k sounds and less than 4 subs like crap...

why??? you have to tune higher... you need to use spl subs... if you use sq doesn't matter you will have to tune higher....

if you want a really LOUD set up with clean bass.. takes money... lots of them... steve meade 155 4 18s and a gazzillion powers still his set up is daily spl doesnt sound that good good. it just sounds ok for the power..

conclusion

i never heard a 150+ set up that sounds good.. they sound OK but not good... loud is not sq and cant mix

sql is a bad term and not a real audiophile term... is either sq or spl

example

i tried to do a sql yes sql but was more than sq than spl...

3000 watts rms to 6 12 inch phoenix gold octane r z rated (superb sq and super efficient will kick your underground entry level subs no problem at 300 watts no questions ask)

box tuned at 32hz all the subs were carefully placed for the most output configuration

still couldn't handle 150 daily not burps i did 149 yes you can imagine 6 subs 3000 watts rms and less than 150 BECAUSE IT WAS A SQ set up!!!!!!!

still i could play every track sounding super nice

because i tweaked the sq set up for alil more output..

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1839
1> never said i was going to use 8's, that was for cwruck asking about the sundown x's and that was the only pic of the sub Jacob had.

2> never said i was shooting for 150+ my self, it if hit it wonderful if not oh well.

3> dustin (bassman3) designs / makes all my boxes.

4> i am bounceing between 10's and 15's due how i am going to haft to make new box.

5> my current setup with the FI Q 15" hits 143 db @46hz on 1600 watts. if i where to get a seconded one and wire to 1 ohm i would double cone area and power used so i would be looking at ~146-148db depending on how every thing works out, however i am switching to the SA line for fun and to see what i can do with them. eather way i go i am probably going to haft to cut some metal to get every thing i want in there.

i also would not call my self a beginner more of an intermediate.

i know being down in MX your English is a bit rusty but instead of skimming every thing take your time and read and understand what you are reading.

now do you have any constructive suggestions or are you just going to be lame?

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
How did you get on team sundown if you don't mind me asking? Do you have to use their equipment and apply? I've never tried to get on a team myself

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1840
i emailed Jacob ~3 months ago with links to all my work and scores on the TL and my equipment list. really i just asked and said hears what i have going on.

he sent me some light paper work to sign and send back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8501
language skills doesn't have to do anything with car audio skills or any other skills FYI...

good luck with everything.. 143@46hz on 1600

nice..

but keep in mind that resitance exist to get at 3 db more add double the power 3200 to get more 3 dbs more double the power of the 3200 to 6400 since resistance comes in place..

for example

0db(stock) 1600
+3db 3200
+3db(more)6400
+3db(more)12800

see what i mean??? it take guts to get alil more output when power comes in place..

how about with subs?? the rule still applies to subs
however theres a limit depending on the application...since resistance always comes in place..

anyways like i said good luck... and the sa lines are not record breaking subs.. so i suggest you lean towards sound quality..

Tip:
2 10 have more sq than 2 15s and more efficient

the bigger cone area well will hit deeper notes.. but the 2 10s are more efficient and because of the low moving mass is easier to work with and will yield superb clean output..

however if you want more output go with the 2 15's you will be louder and hit lower notes more easier

another tip:

since your using a trunk try to to use LOTS and i mean LOTS of sound dampener using 2 15s on a camry will sound like sh1t yes im sorry but is the true... it has alot of sheet metal and will rattle alot causing massive distortion and low sound quality...

the 2 10s might give you better sq like i said..

i see you have sound dampening material but i don't think that's enough

one more time good luck bro

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1841
those are the SPL tiles from SS there thick as hell whole car is covered in them and sludge from SS. thoes tiles are like 22ga or 20ga sheet metal on top of a crapton of buttal rubber. trunk lid has 2 layers + 1 layer in the openings in the trunk lid as well as a layer of sludge.

also i have known that double cone area / double power will add 1.5-3db, well in a perfect world.

i know that 1 12" SA will do ~144db off of 1k so i am hoping for ~145db.

this build is more mid lvl SPL / want to build for my own amusement.

thanks for the luck man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us