Sub facing frontward

Bronze Member
Username: Glowbox

Post Number: 48
My car is a Scion xB and I have two 12w7's that i would like to build a box kind of resembling a wall

the subs and ports will each be behind the rear seat headrests facing the front of the cabin.

My question is will it still sound good with them firing basically toward the windshield as opposed to rear firing letting the waves bounce off the hatch and then toward the front?

I hope this all makes sense

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1030
Not really sure how it would sound that way. I do know that sub up port back gives good results.

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 182
pictures would help explain what you wanted

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Ill post pics tonorrow of wat im going after

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1793
my buddy has one, its like my old jeep. i vote sub up port up. maybe sub up port back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Back when I had 1 w7 I had the sub and port up and it sounded real good I was just trying to go a more unique route but still want it to sound good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Deathoob that's what is usually done and people get the best results that way

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8434
Depends totally on the vehicle's cabin.

Distance from sub to back glass, to front glass, to ceiling, to floor, to listening position, to port, to sub....and every measurement in between.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
very true canaan, haha, there couldnt just be a better way, too easy

Gold Member

Post Number: 8435
Yes....there is a semi-easy fix.

Measure. Form idea of vehicle acoustics. Test. Interpret results. Edit your idea of vehicle acoustics. Test again.....etc

The (12v) scientific method will (usually) not let you down

or.

Gimme some pics and measurements of the vehicle cabin. Ideas on what performance you want. And a rough idea of how you want to build the box. I'll crunch some #'s and see what I can come up with. I won't say I will nail the design first try, but damit....I'll give 'er hell

Gold Member

Post Number: 8436
I will give you one little hint though.

In many cases (not all) in a vehicle, when you fire sub/port back w/ a given 'on paper' tuning....the actual 'in cabin' tuning will be quite a bit lower. And the reverse can be true.

For instance, flipping a box around to fire into the cabin and dropping the rear seats in a fold-down-seat trunk car can very commonly result in a loss of low freq. output, but gain in SPL at higher freq.

In these cases, firing port/sub forward can be helped by tuning lower than you would usually think. And by opening the trunk, you can help to release standing waves.
IIRC, we gain about 0.4dB in NickV's Alero w/ his 2 DD2510's and pop 151's @ 57hz when we crack the trunk just a hair...but that is in a semi-spl setup (daily/low tuning w/ his box is different)

Vehicle acoustics are key.
Know your vehicle, know your sound. ©

lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
So i think im gonna do just a normal box , subs and port facing up.

My box will be 38x22x15 total internal volume minus port will be 5 cubic feet and will have a single port has an opening of 13.5" x 3" and length of 17.5" to tune it to 30hz

While there is no barrier between the subs will it still act as each sub having around 2.5 cubic feet and does it have enough port area?

The subs will get a true 1000 rms each (2000 RMS) total

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
i dont know about the box but do you have the electrical to actually run 2000 rms such as big 3, HO alt, performance battery(s) if not you will come no where close to that because most stock alts put out around 90 amps which wont power that

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1412
2000 rms / 14.4 volts (at best) = ~139 amps. Also have to consider your car is going to need atleast 30% of whatever your stock alt puts out. Of course max current draw is only at full output which you probably won't see all the time, so actual amperage draw should be less than 139 amps. Also have to factor in amplifier efficiency which will increase how much current is being pulled off the car. If your 2k rms is 80% efficient, thats 2500 rms your electrical is seeing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
The big three is all done in 0 awg along with additional grounds

Upgraded battery upfront

250 amp HO alternator, 220 amps at idle

The power is no problem at all

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
ok just checking i will check out the box